Pleated Skirt Cake

Decorating By Katie-Bug Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 1:02pm by Katie-Bug

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 17

I have a bride wanting a cake with the pleating around the bottom tier, does anyone know of a video or tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks so much!!

16 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 17

Here's one that I've saved in my favorites because I think it's gorgeous - http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1271726 - maybe you can contact the person who made this one ... they might be able to direct you. thumbs_up.gif

Katie-Bug Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #3 of 17

Other then a few slight changes, that is the exact cake she wants!!! What are the chances!! Thanks so much for pointing me to that!! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:14am
post #4 of 17

I would love to know how to make that as well. It's just gorgeous!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:15am
post #5 of 17

I would love to know how to make that as well. It's just gorgeous!

indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 17

Here's my attempt at skirting. Have a little mercy, since this is my first real work with fondant! icon_redface.gif Mine is too flat and needs more pleats. This cake was a gift to the bride and groom .... bride had no idea what it was going to look like. When she walked into the room, she said to the groom "Oh my! It takes my breath away!" icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1277288

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 17

Wow - that is a gorgeous cake! I love that pretty blue against the white! I think your pleats are great! I would not even know where to begin! I hope I can do one as well someday! icon_smile.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 17

i used the instructions from kerry vincent's "romantic wedding cakes" book...she does the pleating alot.

start out with a strip as wide as you want the pleat to be tall, don't forget to include the puddled part also. i would recommend rolling out the strip thinner than i did, to make it look more realistic. let it dry for a couple of minutes, and it will be more stable when moving.
make folds, which creates the pleats. make sure to end each strip like i did, which will then become the bottom of the pleat on your next strip...the seam is totally hidden.

mixinvixen Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 17

sorry the pics are so big...how do i make them smaller in photobucket...anyone know?

indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:00pm
post #10 of 17

oh wow, mixin' .... where were you earlier this week? That is FABULOUS!

mixinvixen Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 17

thank you!!! i was sitting here in tn, wishing i was closer to indianapolis so i could some of my family!! they live mostly in greenfield...in fact, i'm sending my cousin your way for her wedding cake and catering, since you've started playing with fondant!

two things i would recommend doing differently:roll your fondant thinner to make it more realistic, and also have a bigger diameter cake board. this was a first for me, on stencilling and pleating both, and that book really helped, along with some tips from shirleyw.

indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 17

Thinner!? Oh gosh, I've already got popeye arms doing this one! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif But I see what you mean. thumbs_up.gif I think I also tried to do panels that were too long (not long up and down, but too wide) ... I think I should shorten those so they are easier to work with.

I thought I had an 18" cardboard to put under the 16" circle,but I was wrong. icon_redface.gif So I just sat it on the counter and let the skirting dry ... then moved it to the silver plateau. When I put it on the plateau, I saw the mistake .... so next time, make sure I have the right size board! thumbs_up.gif

Appreciate the tips very very much!

mixinvixen Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 17

your pleats will be "sharper" if the fondant is thinner, but if you like the billowy or puffy look, then keep it like i did. it was my first time, so i was totally winging it! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:32pm
post #14 of 17

Go to shrinkpictures.com to shrink your photos.....pleating looks great!

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:39am
post #15 of 17

indydebi, that cake is gorgeous! I just emailed it to my sister who is getting married in April. I still haven't convinced her to let me make her cake (what is up with that?), but I think that she might really like that cake, since she really doesn't want fondant. I suggested that the bottom tier be a form & then no one would have to eat the fondant.

Also, mixinvixen, I couldn't see your pics, could you email them to me? I am interested in seeing how you did yours.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #16 of 17

indy and mixi,

Both your cakes are fabulous! Love the tutorials! I totally would not have thought about doing the pleats in sections. Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!

Katie-Bug Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:02pm
post #17 of 17

Mixi, that is one beautiful cake!!!

I have just uploaded my cake. I was pleased with it, but the top edge of the pleats cracked when I stacked the cake...anyone know why?

Indy, I saw that all fondant cake you did on Flickr....wow!! Great work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%