Question On How To Apply Fondant

Decorating By Nicolle711 Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 8:11pm by Nicolle711

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 6

Hello CC'ers icon_biggrin.gif

I do need your help again! I am working on my first 3 tiered cake and so far so good. I have already crumb coated my tiers and they are chilling in the fridge.

My question is this...The cake is not due until Saturday and I am concerned about covering the tiers tonight with fondant and leaving the cake out for a day since it has fresh strawberry filling on the inside with a layer of bc. Will I be okay doing this, should I wait one more day before applying fondant to it, or can I apply fondant and leave in the fridge until sat (I have read a few people do this and have no problem with Satin Ice Fondant).

My second question is since my cakes are crumb coated and chilling in the fridge, how soon after I take them out can I apply the fondant to it? I don't want my fondant to sweat or bulge b/c the cake is coming to room temperature when I am applying it. So I am not sure if I should just take the tiers out of the fridge and immediately cover with fondant or if I have to wait some time. What do you guys do?

Sorry, I know this was a long one but since I have been working long hours I had to do a lot of work on the tiers ahead of time and now I am so caught up I don't know what to do, lol! Thank you in advance for any and all your suggestions! icon_biggrin.gif thank you, thank you, thank you!

5 replies
Nicolle711 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 6

bump icon_smile.gif

Sorry for the urgency but I really need some help on this. If anyone knows, I greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 6

You should apply your fondant while your cake is cold, as it needs to withstand all the pushing and smoothing and such. I would either spray the BC with a few dabs of water or put on another light light coat, so it is sticky. I also have use piping gel brushed on.

Satin Ice will hold up in the fridge with no problem. (I personally no longer use it, it has gotten very soft and even slides down my dummy cakes....so maybe someone with more Satin Ice experience can give you more advice.)

Nicolle711 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much for your fast response! You made my mind at ease with your suggestion! icon_biggrin.gif Now I can get this cake done with thumbs_up.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 6

I use satin ice exclusively. I cover my cakes while still cold, and put the straight back into the fridge. All of my cakes get refrigerated, without exception.

Nicolle711 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you both! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%