Forget The Poured Ganache, I Don't Think That'll Be Wise

Decorating By cheeseball Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 9:34am by banba

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:55am
post #1 of 17

Ok, I posted earlier about poured ganache because that's what it looks like, but I think that's going to be a real problem in the 200% humidity icon_lol.gif ...now I'm thinking it kinda looks like it could be shiny chocolate fondant...whaddya think and what do you think the best way to make fondant look like poured ganache would be?
LL

16 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseball

Ok, I posted earlier about poured ganache because that's what it looks like, but I think that's going to be a real problem in the 200% humidity icon_lol.gif ...now I'm thinking it kinda looks like it could be shiny chocolate fondant...whaddya think and what do you think the best way to make fondant look like poured ganache would be?

Maybe rubbing it with shortening but be careful too much will cause the fondant to breakdown.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:31am
post #3 of 17

that is poured ganache in that pic. i dont know if u can get fondnat to look like that, but maybe u can brush it with water to get it sticky and shiny

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:24am
post #4 of 17

It looks like poured ganache to me.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:19am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

that is poured ganache in that pic. i dont know if u can get fondnat to look like that, but maybe u can brush it with water to get it sticky and shiny

but wouldn't that eventually dry and look matte?

cheeseball Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks guys...I was reading how folks had used confectioners glaze to make fondant shiny, but I don't have access to it...is there an acceptable substitute? Maybe a thin layer of clear piping gel?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 17

Well, here is a chocolate mirror glaze recipe. Original Source : Hershey's -
http://www.bigoven.com/70739-Cocoa-Mirror-Glaze-recipe.html
Never tried it, just found it.
A demo, and more recipes - http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=86115&pid=1171755&st=0&

cheeseball Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 17

Sighhhh icon_rolleyes.gif ...ok, gotta scratch shiny fondant, budget won't allow it. So mavens, how am I gonna make dark chocolate buttercream look glossy?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 17

I've used ganache before here in Houston and we almost always have 90%+ humidity and have never had any problems.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 17

Where is the cake going to be? As in, will it be sitting outside in direct sunlight, or in a stuffy building that has no a/c. Unless that's the case I don't really think the ganache would be a problem for you. It does set up some.

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 17

I think it looks like poured ganache too. I don't think fondant or BC could look that smoothly shiny. Sorry I don't know about humidity and ganache but I hope you figure it out because boy, it looks soooooo yummy!

cheeseball Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks for replying guys...it'll be in a/c, but first, a ride on a puddle jumper flight to a resort on a tiny island in Belize and it is definitely rainy season - when I say 200% humidity, I mean it! (and here I thought the humidity back in NC or SC was bad! icon_lol.gif) Between the moisture in the air and that flight, I just don't trust ganache to hold up (and once you have to touch it up, it just never looks as good)

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 17

This may not work AT ALL, but - I steam my fondant-yep steam it...either the figures, or the fondant on a cake. It gives it a finish ummm not as shiny as you are looking for but not nearly as "matte" as fondant usually is-more like leather. Try a piece and see if that finish will work. Good luck! I really admire your courage-Belize! Will you get to attend the wedding!!?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:56am
post #14 of 17

can we come if we bring our own jumper plane? just kidding. wishing you luck! icon_smile.gif

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:20am
post #15 of 17

Oh my....I've been on those puddle jumper plans & they are pretty bumpy! Ae you sure you want to stack & decorate the cake before you leave? If I were you, I would just take everything with me & decorate it in the hotel or someplace after you land.

As for water on fondant, I found out while trying to carry one of my store display dummy cakes through the rain........it will not turn matte once it drys, it will stay shiny. Hence, raindrops = little shiny spots on your cake! That being said, I don't know if I would try to use that technique on a whole cake to get it shiny but you could try it if you want & see what happens. I would just be worried that it would be "patchy" or something. The picture really does look like ganache thugh.

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:04am
post #16 of 17

Could you cover it with choc fondant then brush brown sparkle dust over it? Just a thought, wouldn't be shiny like the pic but would give a nice sheen, or gold sparkle dust. icon_smile.gif

If you whipped choc buttercream up sometimes it can go glossy if egg whites are used?

The pic is poured ganache if you want to have exactly the same look.

Good luck in what you choose.

Jan x

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:34am
post #17 of 17

I would use either modeling choc or choc fondant and paint it with confectioners glaze.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%