Cake Help

Baking By cakemakergg Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 9:48pm by panchanewjersey

cakemakergg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemakergg Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:27am
post #1 of 5

I am new to making cakes. I have a question about making a 10 inch round cake with a boxed cake mix.. I do not know how long to bake it for or how many boxes i might need. It's for my best friends mothers birthday and the pressure is high . If anyone has a suggestion, i would be very happy. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 5

You bake till done. I don't know how many boxes to use. I don't use a box.

Mike

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 5

I made a 10-incher for the first time last month.
It took 2 boxes and took about an hour and a half at 325 degrees.
If you have a couple of flower nails to put in the pan before you pour the batter in, it will cook much easier. You must use something to get the heat unto the center of the pan faster, or you will have overdone edges and raw insides.

Since you are new you may not know, flower nails (those disk on a metal stick things) cost maybe $1 - $1.50 and you can get them at any Michaels or JoAnne Fabrics.
Image Ask all the questions you want to!

pnnllj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pnnllj Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 5

A 3" deep 10" pan hold 8 cups of batter, a 2" deep 10" pan holds 6 cups of batter. Most box mixes will yield 4-6 cups of batter so always measure until you get the hang of it. I have never used the flower nails, I have a heating core that works great. It's a narrow metal cup that should be in the same aisle as the pans in the store. Hope this helps, good luck!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks pnnllj for that info. Your on the ball!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%