Melted Chocolate Between Layers?

Decorating By jen411 Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 2:08pm by Tlcs

jen411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen411 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone done this? I think I've read about it before, but for the life of me I can't find it again. I want to make a WASC with raspberry filling for my SIL, but the last 2 cakes I did for her were the same so I wanted to add a twist.

Can I just melt chocolate (white, milk or dark), pour it on the layer, fill it and stack? Will this give it a crunch? Does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks,
Jen

7 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 8

Jen---

It will definitely give it a crunch because it will harden into a "candy bar" in between the cake layers.

Another idea is to mix melted chocolate into your buttercream recipe and use that as a filling, too! Yum!

Paul & Peter

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 8

Use choc. ganache. MMMMM if you use the regular (not whipped)version it hardens, but not HARD like a candy bar. It is kinda hard to explain, but it is awesome! Always a crowd pleaser around here. It is super easy too. Here is the recipe that I use.

8 oz Heavy cream
1 tbls butter
1 oz sugar
12 oz Semisweet baking chocolate

Break the baking choc. up into peices. Bring the cream, butter & sugar to a boil, remove from heat. Add choc to liquid mixture. Cover. Let stand 5 min.

Now stir. At first it will look like a hot mess. lol just keep stirring. It will become creamy. mmmmm. lol

I usually put it in the fridge for 10-15 min before using it. If you leave it in the fridge too long it will harden up. You can microwave it for a a min. or so to soften it back up and make it spreadable.

If you wanna use White choc. instead of simi-sweet use more choc. 16 oz of white choc. baking squares to 8 oz of cream.

Hope this helps.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 8

For my last cake, I put hot fudge sauce between the layers. (It soaked in a little.)
If you want a crunch, how about mini chocolate chips or flaked chocolate on top of the raspberry?

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 8

Mmmm! I'm going to have to give these ideas a try too! princess.gif

solnx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solnx Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 8

That is a great idea icon_biggrin.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 8

For a fudgy filling I melt 2 cups of chocolate chips with can of sweetened condensed milk. Let cool. It's like a layer of fudge in the center of your cake and won't soak in!

Jodie

Tlcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tlcs Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 8

Hi JodiF that fudgy filling sounds delicious. I'm making a large cake for an outdoor event on a Saturday. The cake will be filled and frosted Friday evening. I'd like to use that as the filling and then either a buttercream or the Wilton soft decorator icing to frost and decorate. Will the fudgy filling be ok left out of the fridge that length of time? Also do you have a recipe for the frosting that will compliment the cake and fudgy filling? There will be some decorations but not anything major. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%