Coloring Sugarshack's Buttercream

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 7:34pm by mommakristin

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 14

This week I am making my first attempt with Sugar Shack's buttercream. I need the frosting to be blue, but it is only a 2 tiered cake, so I hate to make the WHOLE batch blue and end up throwing away the rest. But I am also afraid of whipping air into the batch by only coloring half. How to you guys color your buttercream without wasting alot of it, or whipping air into it?

13 replies
summernoelle Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 14

Please please please?

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 14

That is the only buttercream recipe I use. I don't color a whole batch though. I keep the white icing in the largest Tupperware bowl known to mankind, and then I just color the amount I need as needed.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 14

i have the same issue.... I dont wanna whip air in either.. my only idea is to fill a bowl (a small one) and use a hand held mixer and keep the beaters covere.d.....

I have to make six colors this week so wish me luck!

I'll let you know how it goes.

summernoelle Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks guys! It is for my son's b day this weekend, and I have been meaning to try using BC forever, so thought it was a perfect excuse to try something new. He doesn't like fondant, anyway. icon_smile.gif

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:47am
post #6 of 14

I have colored the SS BC before and I just do what I need.
I just divide out what I need to color and go for it.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:11am
post #7 of 14

I asked Sharon about colouring her BC and she says she does a whole batch and freezes what she doesn't need.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:00am
post #8 of 14

BUT!

just recently i had 3 tiers of crazy colors and mixed them by hand. it did incorporate air but it all came out with the viva very easily! YAY! ( see tinkerbell cake)

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:16am
post #9 of 14

I have colored Sharon's BC twice and had no problem smoothing it. I just let it settle for a little bit before remixing and it came out great. See my Baby Flower Power and the Hannah Montana cakes in my gallery.

Sharon--
I am soooooo glad I bought your DVD. I can never go back to my old receipe!!! thumbs_up.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:32am
post #10 of 14

Now you tell me Sharon. icon_lol.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:26am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrieg

Now you tell me Sharon. icon_lol.gif

tee hee hee

I JUST did this like 2 weeks ago for the first time!

sorry! icon_eek.gif

mommakristin Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 14

Now my question is when you freeze it- how long do you let it sit out to thaw and what about the condensation that you get? Won't that dilute the color?

I am leary about freezing anything having to do with my cakes. I can't stand condensation. I live in North Texas and I hate to mess with our weather here!!!! I get three seasons at least each day.

so any help on gauging freezing icing is great! I have put icing in the fridge and then get mad at it when it has condensation!!!

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:13pm
post #13 of 14

I always freeze my leftover colored icing (*sugarshack's recipe!). I use ziploc freezer bags, pint size or quart, depending on how much icing you have leftover. I just stack them in the freezer until needed. I put them in the fridge the night before, then about an hour or so before I need them I let them sit out on the counter. Just snip the corner of the freezer bag and squeeze it right into your decorating bag! I've never had a problem with it.
Good luck!

mommakristin Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:34pm
post #14 of 14

I had not thought of using ziploc baggies! That would work great. Thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%