Question Sabout Toba Garret's Glaze ....

Decorating By Kookiefool Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 10:36pm by Parable

Kookiefool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookiefool Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 19

A while back someone recommended this glaze to me, and I'd like to try it. However, I need it in chocolate. Could someone suggest whether I'm better off using unsweetened chocolate squares or cocoa powder, or are both acceptable, and how much of each would you suggest be used?

Also, is the glaze thick enough to be piped into sort of a flattish kiss shape in the middle of the cookie, or would I need to thicken it with some added powdered sugar?

Thank you!

Toba Garret's Glaze:
1 lb. confectioners' sugar
3/8 cup milk
3/8 cup light corn syrup
flavoring as desired

In a mixing bowl, mix the sugar and milk first. Add corn syrup just until combined.
Divide to flavor and add color.

18 replies
amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 19

not sure about the whole chocolate thing, but it's thick enough to pipe with.....I don't follow the directions though b/c when you do that it's a "flood" consistancey in my opinion. I mix the sugar with the flavor and the corn syrup then add the milk a little at a time till I get a piping consistency, pipe then add more milk to get it to a flood stage.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 19

So, is Toba's glaze not really a glaze but more like royal icing? Does it harden?

If you want a chocolate icing maybe you should just thin down some melted chocolate with a little crisco.

amoos Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 19

it does hardern really well, you just have to give it longer. I let mine dry overnight and then all day to make sure and they were perfectly fine to stack. I guess it is a little like royal, but tastes SOOOOO much better and it's still soft on the inside so it doesn't break your tooth while you're trying to eat it like royal does

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 19

This is my cookie icing of choice. It can be thickened or thinned, made in small amounts or large (I often need just a little bit, and will mix 1 cup powdered sugar to 3 tsp. milk & cornsyrup). It takes a while to completely dry, but it never gets crunchy hard. Add some brite white food color when you mix it up and you'll avoid getting cloudy, spotty icing.

Kookiefool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookiefool Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 19

Sounds exactly like what I'm lookiing for, and will try it. Thank you!

Any suggestions on how to make it chocolate? Would I be better off using cocoa powder or melted unsweetened chocolate?

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 19

This is my cookie icing of choice also. I mix in cocoa powder in place of some of the powdered sugar. Yummy. Plus it only takes a little black coloring to make it perfect for those bats!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

So, is Toba's glaze not really a glaze but more like royal icing? Does it harden?

If you want a chocolate icing maybe you should just thin down some melted chocolate with a little crisco.

No, it's not really like royal. You can't pipe flowers or figures out of it. It does dry firmly, not hard. It can be thickened to outline, but unlike royal it won't add dimension; won't "stand up" -- you can't pipe leaves with it. Does that make sense?

To make it chocolate add cocoa powder. You will have to adjust the amount of liquid.

amoos, that is the flood consistency for her icing. According to her book, you should add pwd. sugar to thicken as needed. Which sounds like what you're doing.

Rebelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebelady Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 19

I had no idea that you could make the glaze chocolate!! Can't wait to try!!! Thanks for the tip thumbs_up.gif

amoos Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 19

honeydukes, oh ok thanks....i just start out with ALOT less of the milk and do my outlining then add most of the milk, although i never add all of it, to finish flooding. Don't really care what the exact recipe is, all I know it tastes good and works perfect for me icon_smile.gif

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 7:30am
post #11 of 19

Hi, I need an icing to use on ice cream cones to make it look like real ice cream. I tried Royal, but it gets very hard and can break the kids teeth. Does Toba's Glaze hold up to look like ice cream?? For serving, I will have to put 50 ice cream cones in a basket, I don't want them to get messy when they touch.
Can someone please tell me if Toba's is what I'm looking for?

Thanks

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouj

Hi, I need an icing to use on ice cream cones to make it look like real ice cream. I tried Royal, but it gets very hard and can break the kids teeth. Does Toba's Glaze hold up to look like ice cream?? For serving, I will have to put 50 ice cream cones in a basket, I don't want them to get messy when they touch.

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "to use on ice cream cones." Are you talking about cookies shaped like ice cream cones or actual ice cream cones? Do you need an icing to pipe something dimensional -- if so, Toba's icing won't work for that.

If you are wanting to make "pretend" ice cream in a cone, use Rice Krispie Treats. Shape the RKT into balls the size of your scoop. Then dip them into coating chocolate. You can let some of the chocolate drip down the cone for a "melted' look. Top with sprinkles.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

Quote:

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "to use on ice cream cones." Are you talking about cookies shaped like ice cream cones or actual ice cream cones? Do you need an icing to pipe something dimensional -- if so, Toba's icing won't work for that.

If you are wanting to make "pretend" ice cream in a cone, use Rice Krispie Treats. Shape the RKT into balls the size of your scoop. Then dip them into coating chocolate. You can let some of the chocolate drip down the cone for a "melted' look. Top with sprinkles.

What a great idea, Honeydukes! I'm definitely going to remember this one!

jouj Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:11am
post #14 of 19

Honeydukes, thanks for the reply. I do want "pretend" ice cream in a cone. I'm attaching the picture of the ones I made with Royal Icing. It looks nice, but very hard to eat.
I tried the "Airdried Buttercream Icing" recipe I found on CC, it worked very well, but it tasted salty. It was weird because the ingredients don't contain salt!!! It was just Icing Sugar+shortening+Meringue powder!!

jouj Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:15am
post #15 of 19

I tried attaching the picture, but it didn't work, i'll try again now.
LL

jouj Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:39pm
post #16 of 19

ok, here it is at last..

jouj Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #17 of 19

anyone please?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:28am
post #18 of 19
Quote:

Thanks

Toba's glace icing (or any of the glace icings for that matter) are not what you are looking for. Icings are more liquidy and are better for cookies. You are looking for a buttercream type frosting that can be piped (as opposed to a glace icing which is flooded onto a surface). Hope that helps answer your questions! icon_biggrin.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:36pm
post #19 of 19

I have a question for all you Toba Glaze users. Is it good as a cover for mini cakes? I was thinking of using it to cover 30 mini heart cakes for a bridal shower. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%