Box Shaped Cake With A Lid

Decorating By Jaded1870 Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 2:35am by Cake_Princess

Jaded1870 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaded1870 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a cake that is shaped like a box with an attached lid. How do I create a lid and attach it to my cake so that it looks like the lid is open?

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 5

I wish I could help.. all I can do is tell you that if you have seen a picture on here that you like..you could PM that person and ask them for instructions. I have had a lot of luck with that. Everyone on here is sooo nice! Goodluck!

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 5

Make your square cake like normal. And make a one layer cake for the lid. Put it on it's own cake board, the same size as the cake. Decorate each piece. Put two dowels for supports at one edge of the box cake, leaving them sticking up 1-2 inches. Then gently lay the lid cake on top of the dowels so it's tilted at an angle. It does not rest the weight directly on the cake, but rather on the dowels. Drive another dowel from the top of the lid, straight down through the entire cake for support and so that the lid won't move. May need two dowels, one on each side.

Hope that makes sense.

KimAZ

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:04am
post #4 of 5

Oh, wow. I could have read this when I made mine.

I had no real clue, so I just cut a cardboard the size of the cake, I covered it in fondant and let it dry hanging over a can so that the edge could hang. I then just placed it on top. I only did this once, so...

They are pretty!! Good Luck!!

thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:35am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded1870

I need to make a cake that is shaped like a box with an attached lid. How do I create a lid and attach it to my cake so that it looks like the lid is open?

Here is my method I use for making cakes with the open lid. I dusted an inverted cake pan wit cornstarch. Covering it with gumpaste and trimming it to the level I wanted. Then I made the bow directly on top of the lid. Leave it to dry. Then I removed it and slipped a cake board underneath. I then used chopsticks to support the lid and hold it in an open position.

Here is the cake I made using that method.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=43231

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%