Need Help, Daisy Cutters, Gumpaste, Impression Mats

Decorating By Horselady Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm by Horselady

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 8

Hey guys....I'm doing my first cake since Feb...I know I know....(been sick all year, long story)....Anyway, in my typical fashion, I don't want to do a cake I've already done, I want to try new techniques, and this is for my best friends baby shower, so I want it to be extra perfect.

So, I'm going to do a diamond pattern with the beads in it...on top and bottom tier, with middle tier having a big ribbon and bow around center (or baby feet with the ribbon around base, can't decide), The top and bottom tier I'm planning a ribbon around the base...

Then I was planning two gump paste bows sitting on the top of the first tier and the second tier, possibly a rattle on the base, and then baby booties as a topper....

So, my questions:

1. is Global Sugar the best, most affordable place to get stuff? I've not ordered on line before. (I need an impression mat, cutters, some other tools, see below...)

2. What is the best cutters for Daisys? I want to put tiny daisys on the baby booties, but wasn't sure which brand was best (or how to tell what was small enough).

3. Should I buy ready made gumpaste or is the Wilton Mix more cost effective?

4. Is Satin Ice really worth it over MMF? (in looks/workability)

5. What size diamond impression mat, they come in 1.5" and 1"....????

6. Is there a good base tool set for working with gumpaste?

7. Should I buy a bead cutter?

And finally (sorry guys)...for luster dust, to make a silver rattle, how do I get it really metal looking? And is there a trick to making the ribbon really lustery? Every time I use the stuff i never like the results. It never has enough luster for me.

TIA sorry so long!

7 replies
Horselady Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 8

I know it was a long post, but please, I need help and this is due 1st week of December. I have time, but not much......

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 8

Hi,
1. I love GSA but then again I live just over an hour away from them and I love going in their store shopping. (I place an order online and let them know when I'll be there and then do more shopping and drooling when I get there). They have great customer service.

2. Cutters are a matter of preference. Jem and FMM are both good. Depends on the size daisy you want. You could call and ask them, they could steer you to the right way. Jem has a set
Baby Daisy, Blossom & Primula by JEM Cutters
Product ID #18906 , they might have the size you want.

3. I use either the Satin Ice gumpaste or make Nicholas Lodges recipe. I believe it's posted on the GSA site.

4. I love Satin Ice, the texture, workability and taste. I have problems getting the MMF to come out a consistant texture.

5. I have both and I think I use the larger one more. But again it depends on the size cake you are using it on.

6. I have the Ateco 9-Piece Sculpturing Tool Set but I did break the one that has the blade(knife). I want to buy the PME set sooner or later. I also have celpins, bobble tool, and a few of the metal ball tool.

7. I use the 8mm bead mold. I like it, it definitely makes it easier.

Use nu silver on the rattle. I find I have better results with the luster dusts if I use a high octane (LOL) vodka. We can't get everclear in NYS, it's been banned so I get the one with the highest alcohol content I can find. I kidded my dh that we'd have this darn bottle of vodka when we're in our 90's. And I sometimes put more than 1 coat on it.

GSA has come out with their own cutters and dusts. I've been happy with both.

HTH.

Jo-Ann

Horselady Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 8

thanks so much! That was really helpful!

One more question...

If I buy the beads pre-made (are they called filgree?) what size is best? 4mm or 6mm?

TIA you are so helpful!

jo_ann Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 8

The 4mm are about the size of a bb (as in bb gun). If you are using them in the corners of the diamond pattern I would probably use the 4mm. I'm looking at my 4mm dragees as I typed this.

Jo-Ann

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 8

Are those the little silver beads that are on a bunch of cakes?? Just curious!

jo_ann Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 8

Probably. They come in silver, gold and multi colored. You can also make your own out of fondant (pearls).

Horselady Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 8

yes, I meant the dragees...sorry. I just thought for only 4.99 for about 750 of them that it wasn't worth all the work I'd have to do to make my own...

So you think the 4mm ones will work? Great. I'll order those! Yeah!!! Can't wait to make my first online cake order. I feel like a serious baker....You'd think I'd have done this before I have been at it for almost two years now, and have a ton of stuff, I've just always bought a Michaels or walmart or hobby lobby, etc...which they seem to be MUCH higher priced, mayeb that is just Wilton in general, but I was shocked...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%