Dog From Rice Krispie Treats

Decorating By havingfun Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 7:28pm by Suebee

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 16

I need to shape a bassett hound from RK treats. Does anyone have helpful tips for this? I have never done this before, so anything from start to finish would be helpful. icon_lol.gif Thank you and have a great cake day!

15 replies
havingfun Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 16

No help???

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:19am
post #3 of 16

I'm not sure of how to help, but I'd love to hear any advice as well.

Here's a ::BUMP::

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:40am
post #4 of 16

Does it have to be all RKT? I was going to make a Jack Russell sitting on top of a dog food bag (had emerg. surgery that nite, so didn't get to do it) but we had carved the basic head out of floral type foam and were going to add the ears and eyes, etc.

Is it going to be sitting or lying down? Could you use a loaf pan for the body and stack and carve as needed?

Here is a link to the Jack Russell that I was going to use, he is lying on his belly. Also someone was saying that if you have an ornament or figurine to look at that it helps alot, but I only gt to doing the head so, didn't get that far.

www.planetcake.com.au/couturecakes/birthday.php

Amy

cmnycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmnycakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 16

I made Image this puppy from RKT. Basically I started by shaping and sculpting the RKT with my hands and did put a dowel all the way through. I think I let it dry for a day or so, wasn't intentional, just had to go to work icon_biggrin.gif.
It was then covered with fondant and airbrushed. Hope this helps

Mona
cakesbymona.com

eta : the image didn't show up. You can go to my website cakesbymona.com and go to sculpted cakes.

havingfun Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 16

Manoras,
Fantastic cakes! Did you make the RKT? I have read that some modify the recipe and reduce the butter and crush some of the rice krispies. How did you get the dog smooth? I don't have an airbrush (hobby baker), what would you paint them with? Thank you also to Marriedtoagreek74! I will be making two of the basset hounds. The couple have brother-sister dogs. They will be small (4-5 inches) so they can sit on top of a 6 inch. Thank you all for any help. Have a wonderful day.

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 16

Hey havingfun, when I have used RKT I never followthe exact recipe for it, just eyeeball it, shape, cover w/ buttercream, smooth and then put my fondant over it.

If you want to make the dogs w/ black, brown and white splotches then take some pieces of rolled fondant and roll the color splotches together and the colors will stick together. Just do it in imperfect shapes to be more realistic, but with smooth edges before you roll together. I hope that makes sense.

Amy

cmnycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmnycakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 16

Yes Havingfun, I make my own RKT with maybe one tbsp of butter, just enough to coat the bowl so that the marshmallows don't stick and then really squeeze them to shape.

Mona
[url]cakesbymona.com[/url]

havingfun Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 16

Great info!! Thank you again for the help.

buzymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buzymama Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 16

I love making things out of RKT, I usually use the regular one from the store, but they're actually easy to mold into whatever U want, and I've noticed when I use the marshmallow fondant it's smoother than any other fondant when I cover it. It a lot easier than you think, ohh and if you don't roll the dots onto the fondant the gumpaste glue works wonderfully to add things on. icon_biggrin.gif These are 2 of the ones I did.
LL
LL

havingfun Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 16

buzymama, those are tooooo cute!!!

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 16

We did these bassett hounds from cake and RKT.
LL

havingfun Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 16

Suebee,
those are fantastic!! Did you airbrush or paint? That is exactly what I have in mind, and in fact, they actually look like the 2 I am modeling from. I am assuming they are covered in fondant and the ears and tail are fondant also? There really is a talented bunch on this site!!!

Suebee Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:07pm
post #14 of 16

havingfun,

send me your e-mail and I'll send you pictures in the process and directions. They are cake for the middle, RKT for head, legs and butt/tail and airbrushed, but I'm sure you could paint or even cover in BC.

havingfun Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:09pm
post #15 of 16

Suebee,
How kind and generous! I have sent you a pm with my email. Thank you again for the help.

Suebee Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:28pm
post #16 of 16

I just sent you your e-mail. I think CC is a great place where we call all share and learn. I have gotten so much form this site and happy to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%