Does Anybody Have A Tasty White Chocolate Icing Recipe?

Decorating By AngiesIdea Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 6:14am by AngiesIdea

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:28am
post #1 of 13

Good Morning All,

I am in need of a good white chocolate icing recipe. I prefer it be shortening base rather than butter or margarine. Picky I know but the last recipe I tried with butter just didn't taste that great to me. icon_sad.gif It seemed to be missing something. Can anybody help me out.

Thanks!
Angie

12 replies
Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 13

I know it's not shortening based but since no one has responded yet I'll tell you anyway. icon_smile.gif I just make an IMBC recipe and add melted white chocolate to the finished frosting. Off the top of my head I think I use about 12-14 ozs.

I'm not sure why a butter based recipe would be missing something compared to a shortening one when butter actually imparts flavor but shortening is typically tasteless. Maybe it was due to the other ingredients involved (or lacking in the case of the butter based recipe.) I follow the recipe but I always tweak it until it tastes how I like it. By now I know how much extract I like for whichever flavor I'm going for.

Hope someone comes up with something you'll like. (BTW, I've always heard nothing but rave reviews of my white chocolate frosting.)

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 13

We agree with Fran. Our recipe uses a variety of butters.

We use:

24 oz butter
1 tbsp meringue powder
2 tbsp water
1 pinch salt
2 2lb. bags confectioner's sugar

After mixing ingredients, we then add 8-16 oz melted white chocolate (or dark or milk).

People LOVE our buttercream!

Paul & Peter

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 13

Paul and Peter,

Does this crust well?? Thanks for the recipe!!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 13

Same i had a play yesterday making my normal buttercream the Debbie Brown recipe YUMMMMM and then added melted white chocolate and put it on 3 different cakes for a bridal taste test yesterday and they loved it and have ordered it on their cake

Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 13

Serenatea---

Yes, it does crust nicely after some slight refrigeration. We use VIVA to smooth it out.

Also, despite living in central Florida, we can keep the cake out on a counter in 75-80 degree temperatures and it is fine.

Paul & Peter

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 13

Thank you,

I will definitely be giving this recipe a try. Thank you so much for sharing.

Us floridians have to stick together!! This heat down here is a killer.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 13

A CC member shared her white chocolate cream cheese buttercream recipe with me (it's been posted in a couple of threads recently):

1 package white chocolate chips
1 and 1/2 packages cream cheese (soft)
1 stick butter (soft)
2 lbs powdered sugar

Melt chocolate over double boiler or in pyrex bowl in microwave (30 second burst and stir in between). Let cools slightly but no resolidify. Cream together room temp butter and cream cheese. Add melted white chocolate, drizzling while mixing. once well incorporated add powdered sugar about 2 cups at a time. Frosting will be very soft because of the melted choc but sets up nice and she likes it soft to frost. She used a hot spatula and the viva method to smooth. Both work well.

Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 13

Serenatea---

I know what you mean about the heat and humidity.

We've been doing this professionally for about a year now after experimenting for three. However, we first learned "up North" and didn't face as many weather issues!!!

I just learned from someone (on a side note, folks) that Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe is best for the South. We were using Bakels and loved it. However, I may have to follow Nicholas' suggestion.

Paul (& Peter)

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:13am
post #10 of 13

Bobwonderbuns- thanks for the recipe!!

I am needing a frosting for a freebie cake tomorrow. I was going to use my cream cheese, but I am short on cream cheese. I have the ingredints for this and I think I will just give it a try!!

Thanks so much, I'll let everyone know how it is! Thanks

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:21am
post #11 of 13

Yes culinarycreations, please let us know how it goes!! I haven't had opportunity to try it yet. icon_biggrin.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:48pm
post #12 of 13

Okay, so far so good!

I liked the taste, it was a bit strong so I add a big spoon full of my regular cream cheese to it.

It does have small bits of solid chocolate in it. When you mix it in, the splatters some on the sides an it solidifies. It sets up very quick!!

I have my water boiling now, it seems to make a really nice smooth finish with the hot knife.

I'll post the photo when I get the cake done. I am doing it on a chocolate cake, I think it will be a hit with some cold milk!!!

icon_razz.gif

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 6:14am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

We agree with Fran. Our recipe uses a variety of butters.

We use:

24 oz butter
1 tbsp meringue powder
2 tbsp water
1 pinch salt
2 2lb. bags confectioner's sugar

After mixing ingredients, we then add 8-16 oz melted white chocolate (or dark or milk).

People LOVE our buttercream!

Paul & Peter

Hey Guys,

This is a great recipe! My customer loved it and wants to order another cake for a church function. A much bigger cake I might add.

Thanks Again!
Angie icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%