Second Cracked Cake!

Decorating By IloveYorkies85 Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 12:00pm by jammjenks

IloveYorkies85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveYorkies85 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:53am
post #1 of 3

Ok this is my second post about my cake cracking down the middle. So I went and bought the biggest cooling racks I could find to prevent this from happening again. (I think that is why it happened..)
Anyway, this one is a wedding cake! It is my bottom tier, 16x16... it will be two layers on the bottom. It also has strawberry filling, then iced in buttercream. Normally I would try to repair and keep on "truckin" but because of the filling im nervous. Should I just rebake it? I have another one cooling right now but havent taken it out of the pan yet either... SCARED!

I dont want to risk it sliding... but will it slide? Or am I just nervous? No more wedding cakes for me... this is stresssful. !!

By the way, it will be 3 tiers total. 16-12-8 if that give you an idea. Square!!!

2 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:46am
post #2 of 3

It really depends on how badly cracked it is. Is it just split in half? What recipe did you use, I mean is it a pretty dense cake? and What will you use to stack/support the tiers?

Make sure you let the next layer cool enough before you turn it out of the pan. Place the rack on top of the pan and than, turn the two things together, holding onto both. Lift the pan off the cake and say a little prayer.

If it's just 1 crack down the middle, you could salvage it. I would crumbcoat the entire layer, even the top, this will "glue" it together. Than dam and fill with the filling.

Good Luck!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 3

Was the top domed? If so, did you level it before turning it out of the pan? If an unlevel cake is turned onto a flat surface, it will crack....ask me how I know.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%