Fondant Or Buttercream

Decorating By Rhiannonfaust Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 12:51pm by khufstetler

Rhiannonfaust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhiannonfaust Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #1 of 7

I used fondnat for the first time (wiltons brand) and the taste was horrible and I've been practicing with buttercream, I just cant get it perfectly smooth. I've noticed other fondant recipes on this website can anyone tell me about the taste of MMF fondant, or should I just stick it out with the buttercream.
Confused which way to go please help.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:44am
post #2 of 7

MMF is very easy to make. I suggest you try a batch. Taste is so personal. What I like (have your tried frog legs OR rattlesnake?) you probably *hate* icon_smile.gif
As for getting b'cream smooth....have you seen SugarShacks info/recipe ? Can hardly go wrong w/thaticon_smile.gif

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:22am
post #3 of 7

Well, I personally am a buttercream fan. I think it tastes better. Granted, working with it to make it really work is definitely a skill. But if you learn... you've really got something.

Look on Youtube for videos by a lady named Serious Cakes. She has one that has her recipe for buttercream, which is delish. She also has a great video about smoothing her icing using Viva paper towels... it works excellently!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:57am
post #4 of 7

This is such a personal preference. A lot of it revolves on finding just the right "product". Try different fondant brands. Try different buttercreams. I'm a BC decorator 100%....I love the taste (I use "Dixie's" brand of BC). I love what can be done with fondant, but really have no interest in making a cake that is to be eaten with it. Like I said, it's all personal preference.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 7

Don't judge fondant by the taste of Wilton's. To me , it tastes like a spill at a chemical waste plant. It's inedible to me. And I can't understand why they don't do anything about it. I have yet to hear of anyone who likes it.
MMF tastes like those orange circus peanut candies to me.
Homemade fondants are much tastier than Wilton. People on CC frequently recommend Michelle Foster's Fondant, although I haven't tried it yet myself.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 7

I do mostly BC. Try my recipe in the recipe section, Jibbies White Velvet BC.
When I use fondant I use Satin Ice. I order it from Into the Oven .com
Experiment and try different fondants, some companies will even send you samples, here's a link.
http://www.fondarific.com/products.html
Have fun!

Jibbies

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 7

MMF is definitely my choice, although I do cookies - not cakes. I have done a few cakes and was never brave enough to take that large of a piece of fondant off the mat! icon_rolleyes.gif

I use the simple "Powdered Sugar, Mini-Marshmallows" method and add Clear Vanilla flavoring to it. Everyone says it gives the NFSC just the right amount of sweet.

I microwave (COAT EVERYTHING WITH CRISCO):
16oz. mini marshmallows
2Tblsp. water
for 1 1/2 minutes (at 30 second intervals)

Then I put it in the KitchenAid and mix in:
1tsp. corn syrup
2lb. bag of powdered sugar (I use the whole thing)
Vanilla

If you are coloring it add the color BEFORE the sugar!

It comes out the perfect consistency every single time and is easy as CAKE to work with!

My one hint that works for me: definitely use cornstarch when rolling out INSTEAD of powdered sugar or Crisco.

HTH or at least gives you an idea to throw around.
icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%