How To Test..

Decorating By Chelsea828 Updated 14 Oct 2008 , 7:38pm by 7yyrt

Chelsea828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chelsea828 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hello Everyone
I'm 22 and from upstate NY. I've been gathering recipes and tips about cake making. Everyone always says I make good desserts and I'm always looking for something creative to do so I am interested in cake making. I have basic baking supplies and a large kitchen at my disposal but I'm not really sure where to start. I made a buttercream cake with chocolate buttercream frosting a week or so ago for my family and everyone loved it... which is great. I just don't know what to do next.. my boyfriend can only "taste test" so many cakes for me and I hate stuff going to waste. I want to challenge myself and see what I can do but not go over the top. Any advice would be great!!
ps- I'm in a rural area and there is no formal bakery around (besides grocery store ones) so I'd like to prepare cakes for events, weddings etc... as a side thing, no full time but making extra money & being creative is always good

5 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 6

What worked for me was to give the cakes away as samples and a sort of advertisement. Taking the experiments to banks works great. They have a lot of parties. You could also take small sizes of the same recipe to various locations such as flower shops, dress shops, tuxedo rentals, etc. within the area you are willing to deliver.

Good luck! I hope this turns out well for you.

Michele

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 6

Fire and police stations! Hospitals...nursing homes.....dr offices.....big insurance or office buildings.... any place that has a concentration of workers.

Chelsea828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chelsea828 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 6

that's a good idea... usually no one turns down free cake. Do you think its appropriate to also leave a survey or something so I can get some feedback?? I really want some honest opinions.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 6

Leaving business cards and/or a brochure might be a better idea. Surveys either won't be filled out or some might say something hurtful just to be mean. Orders coming in from the businesses will be a better form of feedback.

HTH

Michele

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 6

You might want to consider at least halving recipes. You can get the idea about a recipe from one layer, with less expense than an entire cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%