Smoothing Icing On The Sides Of A Cake

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm by Deb_

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 3

I have a hard time getting the icing smooth on the sides of the cakes I do. I can get the top really well, but not the sides. Please check my photos to see both the round cakes that I have done recently to see what I mean. What can I do better?

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 3

Melvira that bad boy!!
http://cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html

Cake on turntable .... roller against cake ... give turntable a big spin .... Boom!! you got smooth icing! thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 3

I think your cakes look great, you're being too hard on yourself. (we all do that to ourselves)

I've never used that type of BC before, but, what I've found that helps me is having the right tools. I went to Lowes and purchased a bunch of plastic and metal scrapers (from the paint aisle) They really work well.

I place the tier on a turntable, put the edge of the scraper on the cakeboard at the bottom of the tier as a guide and just slowly turn the turntable and the scraper will glide along the side of the cake. Use light pressure so as not to remove a lot of the icing. I use a 6'' or longer scraper.
Add or remove icing as needed.

There are some good youtube videos out there if you do a google search for "smoothing buttercream", they'll show up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%