Huge Wedding Cake In Kuwait

Decorating By fondantgrl Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 7:06pm by KeltoKel

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:05am
post #31 of 65

Wow - I would LOVE to spend a couple of months in that guy's kitchen watching and learning!

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:18pm
post #32 of 65

Some of those are not my taste, but TACKY??? Don't tell me you haven't seen toilet, penis, feces and many other styles of cakes.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:57pm
post #33 of 65

They are amazing! They are like eye candy to many of us I am sure. And of course many of us would certainly love to be there to actually see them in person.

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:08pm
post #34 of 65

I would like to go to the wedding that these are for. Wow wee.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #35 of 65

Maybe it is because I work in a maternity clinic, but I see phalic symbols all over these pics...

ITA with amazed at the talent, not sure about the styles.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:22pm
post #36 of 65

amazing work, butt ugly designs.

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:57am
post #37 of 65

There is a different way of looking at things in the Middle East countries. It is all about pomp and luxury and over-the-top designs.
Even our Indian weddings would be considered over-the-top and glitzy and too in-your-face by most people who are not Indian/Asian.

It's a question of different perspectives and a totally different culture.

And look at the execution ... the cakes , everyone of them, though huge and intricate at the same time, is perfectly executed! I'm so jealous of his skill.

I for one am so envious of the platform he has to display his art... huge "canvas", fantastic supplies and no budgets ... who wouldn't be?

Karen

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:09am
post #38 of 65

Some of them are very cool looking, but the size, geesh! What got me the most, reading through the posts, was BobWonderBuns.... a new Sylvia Weinstock book!! Yippee!!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:24am
post #39 of 65

My question is..How do you CUT them?

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:46am
post #40 of 65

Aside from the cultural differences that others have mentioned (and they are huge) many many of these weddings have 2000-6000 people or more there. They invite whole villages or towns to their weddings.

I live in Cyprus (they say EU but this girl says "middle east") and it is ALL about show and what you have that someone else can't. These are not my taste either BUT looking at where they are being made and the cultural differences in appearances I think they are great!

Thanks for sharing.

Edited to say( they say EU but this girl says "middle east" ) culturally speaking

gbemsay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbemsay Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:51am
post #41 of 65

these cakes're whaoccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhh!
men, they're simply great

loriemoms Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:52am
post #42 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

amazing work, butt ugly designs.

The round ones remind me of a tire display. hahaha!

norma20 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:41pm
post #43 of 65

Yes, they have no such thing as "we have a small budget..."
I have catered for a young Indian couple as their son was having his first birthday and they really wanted the best. Very refined people with real money!
Besides those cakes being a work of art, they are probably delicious too. Think also about the wonderful and healthy food that was served for the guests!

loriemoms Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm
post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by norma20

Yes, they have no such thing as "we have a small budget..."
I have catered for a young Indian couple as their son was having his first birthday and they really wanted the best. Very refined people with real money!
Besides those cakes being a work of art, they are probably delicious too. Think also about the wonderful and healthy food that was served for the guests!

That is true! I did a first birthday and when the mom told me to contact her event planner I was floored. They not only had it for 350 in a ball room of a hotel, but the little boy was brought to the party in a limo.

I have done one indian wedding and it was interesting the setup. They a stage set up with a fancy couch on it. Apparently that is where the ceremony takes place. The cake was placed in the middle of the dance floor! (I asked them twice ARE YOU SURE?) It wasn't a super fancy cake though, and was only for 200. I guess it was a small wedding!

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:01pm
post #45 of 65

Those cakes are ridiculous! I bet most of them go to waste because realistically, how many guests would you have to invite to eat THAT much cake!

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm
post #46 of 65

I don't know how many that would feed but I was thinking maybe they all are supposed to take some back home with them. That's an aweful lot of cake don't you think? icon_rolleyes.gif

norma20 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:39pm
post #47 of 65

Haven't you seen the size of the rooms? They probably have at least 600 guests and since the cakes are delicious (filled with fruits, nuts) each one of the guests is going to have a slice.
And don't even think that they are going to take a "doggie bag" home. They are too much refined for that!
Well, I wouldn't mind to take one home with me. icon_redface.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:35pm
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by norma20

And don't even think that they are going to take a "doggie bag" home.

We had friends come from England to visit with us. We took them to a steakhouse and at the end of the meal, I asked for a takehome box for the leftover cheesefries, etc. The wife was looking at me odd and finally asked, "Is that common over here?" I told her, "Heck yeah! I PAID for it!" She got a very shocked look on her face and said, "That's just NOT done in England!" Hubby and I burst out laughing at the realization of what she must have thought of her crazy American friend who was scooping up leftover food!

But they enjoyed the late night snack of leftover cheese fries and chicken strips!! thumbs_up.gif

norma20 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:11pm
post #49 of 65

Yes, I know, totally different cultures. When the food is good and there is leftovers, why waste it? icon_wink.gif

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:20pm
post #50 of 65

Wow just wow

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:44pm
post #51 of 65

I wonder how many of them are dummies...common...are they trying to feed the whole country with those! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:41pm
post #52 of 65

Kuwaiti pastry chefs convention:

1st chef: Yeaah, my last one was 5.5 feet tall.

2nd chef: 5.5 feet? Not bad. I'm lookin' at a 6 foot all-gold baby for next week.

1st chef: Niiice.

3rd chef: Pretty good guys. I got one comin' up: 8 feet tall. It'll take 10 guys just to lift it.

1st & 2nd chefs: Sweeeeet!

Men, they're all the same!

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:56pm
post #53 of 65

you are right karen about the differences and cultures. i have seen an indian wedding when i lived in dallas and it was sooooo beautiful and full of life. thats they way to rejoice a wedding. i love the cakes. they are very big, but think of all the work that went into them. i mean wow, i can't even do a super nice regular size cake, lol!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif hope everyone is having a great monday!!!

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:05pm
post #54 of 65

I live in the Middle East, and believe me, ALL the wedding cakes here are huge!! The bigger the better!
My wedding cake was this huge, but it was all fake, except for the top tier. To feed the guests, we had two 10" real cakes on EACH of the 30 tables.
The portions here are also huge, each portion has to be at least 2"x4" for wedding servings.

I forgot to mention that MY WEDDING CAKE was gorgeous, not weird like these cakes!! icon_wink.gif

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:38pm
post #55 of 65

hi jouj, can you post the pics of your wedding cake, would love to see it!! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

nonuser01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonuser01 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:40am
post #56 of 65

OMG !!!! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

AMAZING !!!

jouj Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:09pm
post #57 of 65

angelatx: this is the picture of my wedding cake, sorry it's not a good one, but I had to take it out of the album and scan it! anyway, the cake was around 1 meter high, and so much nicer in person.
LL

norma20 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:27pm
post #58 of 65

FANTASTIC! icon_surprised.gif
Do we have a celebrity among us? icon_surprised.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm
post #59 of 65

Did you do the sword dance??

jouj Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:40pm
post #60 of 65

Who is the celebrity?? surely not me!!
chutzpah, no i didn't do the sword dance, don't know what it is. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%