Decorating By psurrette Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 6:00pm by LindaB41171

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #31 of 54

No refund! You went above and beyond!!

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:22pm
post #32 of 54

There is no way I would give a refund on that cake! It's awesome! I would have told her that if she wants a box, it's $XX additional because you don't provide them to keep costs down. Great job!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #33 of 54

Absolutely under no circumstances should you give her a refund. You gave her a beautiful cake and the ungrateful brat shouldn't be given a slice of cake to eat. I swear some of these parents are teaching their kids to act like such ingrates.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:30pm
post #34 of 54

Absolutely NO refund. Your cake is awesome! It's not your fault that her child is spoiled and acting so ungrateful. You fulfilled your end of the contract.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:37pm
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

If you get an email or something, send her an invoice for the box.

icon_lol.gif

This cracked me up because she knew I had to buy icing and a box and never offered to pay for it.

tammik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammik Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:00pm
post #36 of 54

That was a PERFECT cake. That lady was terrible. I would definately make a not and NEVER do a cake for her again. She is teaching bad things to her child as well. You shouldn't be upset at all. You went above and beyond. I would have probably said - go to Wal-Mart and get your cake and I'll take this one and give it to a nursing home or somewhere that would appreciate it.

You did a terrific job!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #37 of 54

Your cake is beautiful.........no refund, is this woman nuts?

What the he_ _ kind of 7 year old tells someone they don't like the cake she baked for him? I think I would have smashed his face into it.........that'll bring him down a "level" or two, the ungrateful little urchin.

psurrette Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:25am
post #38 of 54

Thank you everyone your suport means a lot!

Tonight I brought my nephews cake to his party. They dont usually ask me to make thier kids cakes but I offered just in case they were afraid to ask. So I made a mickey clubhouse cake and when I brought it in he was yelling my cake my cake mommy look at my cake.
This makes it all worth it.
It will be loaded in my pictures soon

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:47am
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

Tonight I brought my nephews cake to his party. They dont usually ask me to make thier kids cakes but I offered just in case they were afraid to ask. So I made a mickey clubhouse cake and when I brought it in he was yelling my cake my cake mommy look at my cake.

I just love it when the little tykes do this! Just love it! What a way to top off a crappy customer! icon_smile.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:13am
post #40 of 54

The cake looks great, and it isn't your fault this customer failed to communicate her expectations. I wouldn't refund either, but honestly, if I ordered a cake I would absolutely want and expect it to come in a box.

I can't believe the amount of people here who regularly send cakes out of their kitchens unboxed, and with no protection at all. It is very unhygienic, and really, I don't that buy that excuse of 'keeping costs down'. Cake boxes aren't all THAT expensive, and you can just add those 10-20-30-40-50 cents to the final cost of the cake.

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:55am
post #41 of 54

I agree with everyone about not giving a refund - it's a perfect cake design from the photo given to you!

One suggestion though, I always send an e-mail confirmation to all of my customers which outlines the design that we have discussed/cake flavour etc. One of my headings within that e-mail is "Required Wording" which they either need to complete for me or gets clearly marked as "No wording required on cake or cake board". That way I know whether they want a name/age/phrase on the cake. It's funny how many times someone will have said to me on the phone "oh we don't want a name on the cake" but change their minds once they get my e-mail.

I also agree about the cake box - if you don't make it clear up front that you don't supply a box, you should as I think most people would expect the cake to come in a box as a given.

Deb_ Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:39pm
post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

Thank you everyone your suport means a lot!

This makes it all worth it.
It will be loaded in my pictures soon

!

Well that's a sign that your nephew is being brought up with manners and good values! Your sister/brother is doing a great job, unlike the Mother of that ungrateful 7 yr. old.

I notice you're in Bridgewater, MA. I also live in MA. There is a really good Bakery Supply Wholesaler in Lincoln, RI. I don't know if you get to the Providence area much(about 45min. maybe from your town). They sell great cake boards/boxes in heavy baker's quality, and they are very inexpensive. The name of the company is J A R Bakery Supply, you could do a google search for directions. I highly recommend it.

psurrette Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #43 of 54

I understand that people feel its not right to deliver without a box. I deliver all my cakes in a box that I keep in my car I remove the cake and carry it to the house. or the party place. After 300 plus cakes this has never been a problem. my customers know I dont deliver in a box and this was a repeat customer that knows they dont come in a box. Duff doesnt deliver in a box either. It has been a learning experience today I guess

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:58pm
post #44 of 54

Duff delivers in a box. They remove the cakes from the box at the venue for the purpose of filming. It's not so fun seeing a Duff-delivery on TV where they carry a box into the venue. Everyone wants to see the cake.

And anyway, just because *Duff does it*, doesn't necessarily mean it is the right thing to do, or the hygienic thing to do.

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #45 of 54

I quite often deliver cakes to customers who are then going to transport the cake to the party venue. I also have a lot of customers who collect their cakes from my house. I personally wouldn't be comfortable working without cake boxes, whether my own when I'm delivering & setting up, or one for the customer when I don't know the final destination.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:23pm
post #46 of 54

Box or no box, the customer lady was a turkey and her child a little turkey. (Turk-ette?) icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:16pm
post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Great cake!

Spoiled kid!

No refund!

icon_lol.gif

Yeah!!

Kid: I don't like it!!
Me: Gosh, I'm sorry honey, but this is the cake your mommy ordered and it looks JUST like the picture she approved. Happy Birthday! (smile sweetly, walk away)

icon_twisted.gif

janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:39pm
post #48 of 54

Indydebi

LOL!!!! Tell it like it is!!! LOL!!

psurrette Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:29am
post #49 of 54

This is the email I got today from the customer

Thanks for your email. It was a little difficult to transport but we did it and just had to readjust the wires once we got there. The cake was a big hit at the party. All the parents were asking about it. I really appreciate the extra effort you made to get a box and icing. You will be hearing from me again. :0)

Deb_ Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:53am
post #50 of 54

Well that's good Paula, sounds like a very satisfied customer in the end. thumbs_up.gif

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #51 of 54

Your cake looks fantastic! I wouldn't give any refund. She did not give you anything specific to go by and you used your own judgement, and worked hard to give the brat what he wanted. You can't make some people happy no matter what you do but you should get paid for your work. Great job.
icon_biggrin.gif

janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:52am
post #52 of 54

Glad she e-mailed you back!
And obviously had a change of heart - lol
Well done on a wonderful cake.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:22am
post #53 of 54

Thanks for the update. Evidently when all of the guests started making over the cake, she realized how great it really was. Your 3-D effect was awesome. It was nice of her to let you know.

LindaB41171 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaB41171 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:00pm
post #54 of 54

The cake is amazing! Can I just ask one question? It may sound stupid, but how did you do the Mario image? I'm still learning and it looks like something I could actually make work.

Thanks!
Linda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%