Help With Fondant Or Gumpaste Noah's Ark Animals

Decorating By irishlindaone Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 5:11am by xstitcher

irishlindaone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irishlindaone Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:27am
post #1 of 9

I am making a 1st birthday cake for my grandson. I'm making a stand up Noah's ark with fondant animals. I made a baby shower cake with fondant babies and they seemed like they dried out too much. I added glycerin like a friend told me too. Any ideas of how to make the animals so they won't get so dry? I don't have any recipes for gumpaste, does it work better than fondant?
Someone please give me some ideas. [email protected]

8 replies
mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:44am
post #2 of 9

Well, I use a gumpaste mix from wilton. You can get it just about anywhere that has a small cake decorating section. (Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, ect)

I then mix 50/50 of gumpaste and fondant. Sometimes, I even add more fondant than gumpaste just to give me a little extra work time.

I have recently started using fondant with Tylose powder added to it as I work it. I really like how it handles and dries.

HTH
Mandi

irishlindaone Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:57am
post #3 of 9

thanks, I will try your tips tomorrow.

mandifrye Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:05am
post #4 of 9

I hope it works well for you - just remember to work kinda quickly and keep unused gumpaste/fondant in sealed container.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else!

irishlindaone Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:07am
post #5 of 9

where did you get the Tylose powder? I looked at both Michael's and Joanne's and didn't see it.

mandifrye Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 9

I know, I can't find it locally either. I had to order some to give it a try.
http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=TYLOSE+POWDER

But, I think that you would be happy with just using a mixture of fondant and gumpaste. I have just this week tried working with candy clay - It handles beautifully and seems to hold shape better. However, it will not dry as hard as gumpaste.

HTH

irishlindaone Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 9

I have never heard of candy clay. Do you have a receipe for it?

mandifrye Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 9

I was given a link to Serious_Cakes' you tube video tutorial on how to make it.

I used Wilton's candy melts instead of what she uses in the video. She instructed me that the recipe is 1tsp of corn syrup for every ounce of candy melts. But, because I used Wilton's brand, she recommended me to use 2tsp less corn syrup. So, for a 12 ounce pack of melts, I used 10 tsp of corn syrup. (I hope that is clear icon_confused.gif )

You melt your candy, and then briskly stir in corn syrup. It will seize. Pour into wax paper lined cake pan and let set up. Once set, place in air tight container and let sit overnight. The next day, brak it apart and knead until soft. Et voila, candy clay!

Here is the link to her you tube video...

HTH, icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:11am
post #9 of 9

From what I understand Tylose is probably the best to use but if you need something quick I've read that you can use Wilton's Gum-Tex as well (just add it to some fondant. I also believe that there is a recipe on the back for making gum paste too. HTH! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%