Smash Cakes And Fondant

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 2:59pm by Kim_in_CajunCountry

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:56am
post #1 of 5

I just wanted to make a comment...I've seen several really cute smash cakes here in the last several weeks. However some of them seem to be partially or all the way fondant.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid or what, but I never give a customer a smash cake for a baby with ANY fondant on it. I have four boys and to me, fondant, especially smaller pieces of it, is a big choking hazard for a baby who is just turning one.

I just wanted to post this in case maybe nobody thought about that...I know fondant makes cuter cakes in alot of cases, but I am willing to sacrifice "cute" for "safe" when it comes to making a baby's smash cake. I'll put fondant on everything else...but not the cake that is given to the baby.

Just a thought! thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:08am
post #2 of 5

I put fondant on them, but I tell parents to peel it off before they let their kiddos have at it. Take your pictures first of course.. but take it off because it's hard for them to get through as well as being a choking hazard.

irishlindaone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irishlindaone Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #3 of 5

thanks for the info on smash cakes. I am making my grandson's first birthday cake as a Noah's ark cake and I was wondering if I should do fondant on the smash cake or not.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:53am
post #4 of 5

I have to do a smash cake for Nov 1st a Bee and she wants fondant wings, I told her to take them off before baby digs in. I'm not responsible.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 5

I had never thought about the choking issue. I made my first smash cake recently and although the birthday cake was covered in fondant, I covered the smash cake in buttercream. The main cake had gumpaste daisies on it so I placed a daisy on top of the smashcake. My reason for doing so was because I didn't think a one-year old would be able to "dig in" to a fondant cake. Buttercream just seemed more squishy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%