Help!!! Condesation On Crumb Coat

Decorating By TyTy78 Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 3:44am by TyTy78

TyTy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyTy78 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:30am
post #1 of 3

This is my 1st post, but I have read a lot and found some very useful information. I took my cakes out of the freezer last night, filled and crumb coated while still frozen. I lightly wrapped them and placed bak in the fridge to thaw. when I took them out tonight to frost there is condensation forming on them...What did I do wrong and can this be fixed. My cake is due tomorrow....PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks icon_cry.gif

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:08am
post #2 of 3

Did you have a perishable filling? If not, there was no need to refrigerate them to thaw. I never refrigerate my cakes. Somewhere on here, a CC'er posted info indicated that refrigerating cakes actually speeds up the "going stale" process (but freezing cakes stop the "going stale" process). Cakes only take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours to thaw, depending on size. I also dont' wrap my cakes while thawing. Letting the icing air-dry helps remove the moisture from the icing, which helps the crusting process.

If you leave them out at room temp, they should thaw, warm up, and the condensation will evaporate. I actually sometimes go ahead and put my final icing coat on top of a slightly wet crumb coat.

TyTy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyTy78 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:44am
post #3 of 3

Thanks...I just took a look at them and it looks like it will be ok. I learned a valuable lesson tonight, and will never do that again.

I also made your buttercream tonight and I'm sticking with it!!!! It mixed so well. Thanks again for your reply. I am really learining alot from all of you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%