10.10.08 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 6:40pm by dmhart

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:24am
post #1 of 61

Who's up? Whatcha doing?

I should have been finished hours go, but I have tummy pain. (gas)
decorating is going slow.

60 replies
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:46am
post #2 of 61

I can see you reading this. Come on in - join the Friday Night gals!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:58am
post #3 of 61

I'm here... still have the oven going... I'll be on adn off through the night, I'm sure lol

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:58am
post #4 of 61

I'm here I'm recovering from my cake decorating activity last night I finely made my Pumpkin Patch 1st Birthday cake and delivered it this morning I just uploaded the picture in my pics came out cute the aunt that ordered it was really pleased now I have another one due Monday I'll start on that tomorrow I'm kind of tired tonight. What are you working on

Molly

leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:02am
post #5 of 61

I finished two wedding cakes. Now I'm prepping (filling, wrapping to let them settle) two wedding cakes for Sunday. And prepping a birthday cake.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:04am
post #6 of 61

I'm taking a break before I start painting shells...

leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:05am
post #7 of 61
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:05am
post #8 of 61

So anyone got a remedy for my pain? Tums haven't worked. GasX hasn't worked.

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #9 of 61

No remedy, but I'll keep you company for awhile.

I'm packing for a trip to NYC in the morning with my daughter's girl scout troop--I can't wait!! I also have to finish a 25th anniversary cake for tomorrow, too. I shouldn't have taken this request, but the trip completely skipped my mind when she asked me to do it. Eh...I suppose I can sleep on the bus.

aligotmatt Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #10 of 61

lay on your belly for a few minutes, it seems to help me.

aligotmatt Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:13am
post #11 of 61

so leah, what kind of cakes do you have for tomorrow?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #12 of 61

leahs

Try peppermint oil, flavoring are if you have peppermint candy to suck on is even better

Molly

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #13 of 61

Well it is a Friday night!! I'll be up all night too, I have a 90th birthday cake and cupcakes due tomorrow. I was up all night last night doing a
castle cake for a coworker, bed @ 2 and up by 6 am to go to work. my cake and cupcakes are still cooling, i'm really starting to get tired too.. I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee already!!
Leahs, Wish I had a cure for you, I know when my kids had tummy problems we would work it out with the knee-elbow stretch, it moves the gas pocket around..

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #14 of 61

Hahahahahahaha! I'm rolling out of the chair laughing because my kids call me the Tootin' Queen around here!!! Good to know I'm not alone in this club tonight!!

I just finished a baby shower cake for tomorrow morning and my daughter is putting the finishing touches on a baby under a blanket to sit on top. She does the best work on those little babies!!!

I'm fresh out of GasX so what works best for me is to make sure no one is in firing range and let 'er rip!!!

Whatever works, right??!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #15 of 61

I'm still at the bakery! I have to color some fondant choc. brown and cover a wedding cake...then will go home to get some sleep, only to come back in the morning to finish two cakes for Sunday and then to deliver three wedding cakes.

this has been a busy week! it looks slow for the rest of the year though,....which is scary, cause bills still come in.

this has been a nice break!

melody

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #16 of 61

I am nearly finished with my friday project. Groom's cake for an attorney I work with. The funny propellor looking thing on top is a wind turbine. I'm uploading it next. It's a new area of law and he is specializing in it. I'm thrilled about the hard candy "glass" top. The drawer handles will be painted gold tomorrow a.m. after they've dried. Leah, you've always been so helpful to me. I wish I could help with your pains.

leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #17 of 61

I think the GasX is kicking in. It always takes a while.

Cakes finished - 3 tier, choco raspberry/tuxedo/almond white cakes.

Another 3 tier - Almond white/carrot/chai cakes.

aligotmatt Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:30am
post #18 of 61

I have 4 weddings tomorrow, 2 of them are close to the same, white stacked buttercream with sand on the ledges, one has gumpaste lilies, one has gumpaste hibiscus, both with shells. another is a Yankee wedding cake, white with blue pinstripes and a baseball on top, and the last is 3 12" round cakes with shaved white chocolate mashed into buttercream that will be stacked with flowers in between the layers.

I just have to finish the shells and the sand tonight, and then pack up my rescue kit for delivery tomorrow. I delivered 2 weddings today and they both went perfect, no rescue pack needed, so I'm anticipating 4 more perfect deliveries for tomorrow icon_smile.gif

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:39am
post #19 of 61

I am happy to say that this is the first Friday in months that I haven't had a Wedding or multiple Birthday cakes. It has been nice not being covered in icing. Next weekend will be back to normal!!

I hope everyone manages to get a little shut eye tonight and that your deliveries go smoothly tomorrow. Have a great weekend!!

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #20 of 61

Hello Friday nite cake club. My question is..do you use a nail head (the kind used to make roses) or a cake core to put in the center of your cakes? I baked a 9 in. cake the other day and I've heard I could use either one. I had to put my cake back into the oven because the center wasn't cooked and feared the sides would get hard. Any advice?

leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:42am
post #21 of 61

Turn the temp down. I've never used a nail or heating core.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:42am
post #22 of 61

I usually don't use anything in a 9" cake and don't have problems but I do use a flower nail in larger cakes. I also bake at 325, no higher. It helps tremendously.

aligotmatt Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:51am
post #23 of 61

I bake at 325 as well. No core, no nail.

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:01am
post #24 of 61

Hi everyone,

Wow I just got on the computer and had almost forgot it is Friday night. I am working on a shower cake for my daughter-in-law. My first granddaughter after 6 grandsons. Anyway, I am putting a Care Bear cake on top of a 11x15 sheet. I have a foam board cut to shape of bear and plan on using dowels. I am pretty sure this will work fine. This is my first time using a character pan though and would like any tips. Like....after I have crumb coated I have heard you can use colored piping gel to go over indentions on inside of cake pan then place pan back over cake to mark details. Has anyone tried this? Any other tips are appreciated. I plan on finishing the decorating in the morning. Sorry this is so long.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:03am
post #25 of 61

I had the night off from cakes, I have bridezilla's cake next weekend, but tonight took the kids to see WALL-E

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:11am
post #26 of 61

I have 23 birthday/shower cakes and a 4- tier wedding cake. We are hard at work here but looks like it will be a long night as well icon_sad.gif

I do have a stumper for a cake though this weekend. I am suppose to do a sumo wrestling cake and I have no idea what to do. I was originally going to do an image but then the lady specifically asked not to do that and wanted something different. I have no idea what to do now icon_sad.gif

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:14am
post #27 of 61

Hello Friday nite cake club. My question is..do you use a nail head (the kind used to make roses) or a cake core to put in the center of your cakes? I baked a 9 in. cake the other day and I've heard I could use either one. I had to put my cake back into the oven because the center wasn't cooked and feared the sides would get hard. Any advice?

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:16am
post #28 of 61

Hmm, Sumo cake...model some wrestlers out of fondant and put them in the ring on the top of the cake....sounds like fun.

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:22am
post #29 of 61

23 cakes....4 wedding cakes.... man, you guys are making me ashamed of how long it's taking me to do my little 9"round basket of flowers cake! I'm into blending the colors in the pastry bags and it's taking me forever--let alone using soooo many tips, bags and couplers! Where's the clean up fairy when I need her???

Hummingbird, I have never heard of that technique, but it doesn't sound like it would work. I would be afraid it would make one big smeary gelly mess on the cake. Let us know if you tryit tho'.....

feeling better yet, Leah?

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:26am
post #30 of 61

imakecakes,

Do you think it will smear? I only plan on making an outline of details not the entire character. I never thought of it smearing. I'll find out I guess, don't know how else to be able to mark it better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%