A List Of Everything A Cake Decorating Business Needs?

Business By jessfmaldonado Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 7:22pm by loriemoms

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 22

Hi all,

I know this is alot to ask, I really would appreciate any suggestions you can give me!

I have to make a list for my boss of everything we will need in our Bakery. It has not opened yet so he would like to know what we need before we open. He really wants a list of EVERYTHING I need and want.
So ANY suggestions will be Wonderful!!! ANYTHING you can think of! Please!!!

Thanks so much!!!!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

21 replies
jessfmaldonado Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 22

I wanted to add this is for cake decorating and baking. We are doing other things in the bakery, but he wants a list for mainly cakes and cupcakes. Any ideas you can think of would be very helpful, TIA!!!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 22

You need to be more specific. My first thought is ovens, refrigerators freezers, shelves, dishwasher, pans, sheets, floor drain, hand sinks, mop cupboard/sink, etc.

Is that the kind of thing you mean?

jessfmaldonado Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 22

Sorry your right Chutzpah!

All of the "BIG" stuff is already taken care of. I mean specially for cakes, cupcakes and cookie decorating. Anything that I will need for those things. Tools, equipment (just for decorating and anything specific to cake baking), cutters, etc . I have an idea of course, but I just want to make sure I am not leaving anything off of this list. Thanks so much!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 22

Money.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 22

CC machine.

jessfmaldonado Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 22

Okay I really love Cake Central. I have ALWAYS been very polite to EVERYONE. I just needed some help in this. If I shouldn't be asking for help then I guess I shouldn't be on CC anymore. I ALWAYS try to help someone out when I can. I don't have a problem with anyone, I am just wondering why the above comments were given. I am not starting anything or looking for anything to be started I just feel very hurt. Maybe I am being too sensitive? Is my question really that stupid? My boss was giving me free reign and wanted everything we will need. I just wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything out. Just wanted some help. Maybe I was asking too much. Sorry.

Jessica icon_sad.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessfmaldonado

Okay I really love Cake Central. I have ALWAYS been very polite to EVERYONE. I just needed some help in this. If I shouldn't be asking for help then I guess I shouldn't be on CC anymore. I ALWAYS try to help someone out when I can. I don't have a problem with anyone, I am just wondering why the above comments were given. I am not starting anything or looking for anything to be started I just feel very hurt. Maybe I am being too sensitive? Is my question really that stupid? My boss was giving me free reign and wanted everything we will need. I just wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything out. Just wanted some help. Maybe I was asking too much. Sorry.

Jessica icon_sad.gif

I wasn't being an ass. I'm assuming you KNOW you need tips, and turntables, and bags. Do you have your CREDIT CARD machine, and account setup?

Mike

jessfmaldonado Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 22

Thank you Mike.
Yes, he does have a cc machine already.

His part of the business is taken care of already(ovens, front of shop, freezers,etc) . He actually sells equipment to people who want to open their own shops. Front of shop, and "Big Equipment" he has that part down. My part of the business(cakes and cupcakes) is not taken care of yet. As far as "small equipment" still needs to be purchased. Just wanted some suggestions thats all.

Jessica

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 22

Lots of duplicates of the most commonly used tips like the smaller tubes, stars and leaf tips, lots of decorating bags with separate set for royal icing unless you are planning on using disposables, turntables, lots of small and big off set spatulas, pizza cutters, ribbon cutters, sugar craft "clay" gun, a wide range of gel paste colours, luster and disco dust in a wide range of colours, fondant, gumpaste. Phew. I am sure that you'd need a lot more, but that is what I could think of off the top of my head.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 22

Some type of tool storage for all your tips, towels, air brush, assorted sizes of cake boards, dowels, wire, fancy foils or papers to cover your boards, cake plates and stands...

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:42pm
post #12 of 22

Cupcake liners!

jessfmaldonado Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:48pm
post #13 of 22

Thank you ladies so much!! See I already forgot to add cake boards and cupcake liners. lol. I also forgot pizza cutters. I think as I age my mind and memory is going! lol. This is the exact reason why I asked for help. LOL. Thanks so much ladies!!!!

Jessica

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm
post #14 of 22

Don't forget various sizes of SPS sets! And cake boxes, commercially-made fondant in various colors, flower cutters, gumpaste, floral wire/tape (for gumpaste flowers), fondant smoother, gumpaste tool sets, petal dust, different sized rolling pins for fondant and gumpaste uses. HTH - and congrats on the new bakery! I wish you and your boss all the best.

P.S. Don't forget to have a really cool website to go with your new bakery icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 22

Jessica---

I'd suggest he go to cksouth.com and sign up with a wholesale account. After the approval (only a couple of days), you will be given access to the on-line ordering site. There's a downloadable price list sorted by every topic imaginable. We've been ordering bits and pieces from that. If I want a specific item, then I just do a search.

For what you're wanting to do, waiting a few days to get the catalog will assist you greatly because it is laid out from start to finish with everything you might need (or that you forgot you needed).

When we eventually open our retail shop, I'll be going back to that book and ordering that way.

Also, you can PM me if you have further questions. We're in Winter Garden (just north of Walt Disney World Resort). We'd love to come down and see your shop when it's open.

Good luck!

Paul & Peter

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:59pm
post #16 of 22

Hi Jessica:
Sorry I read your post so late, but here goes and I hope it helps!
I made this list for myself when I was starting out.
cake pans in all sizes
stainless steel bowls
spatulas
whisks
wooden spoons
bench scrapers
pastry brushes
strainers
pizza cutters
cake rings
pastry wheels
paring knives
offset spatulas
heavy duty turn tables
scales
silpats
cake boards
cake boxes
doilies
glue
hot glue gun
masking tape
sharpies
tin foil
plastic film
scissors, all sizes
ribbons, various colors
X-acto knives
box cutter
tool box
pliers, big and small
wire cutters
rulers, 12", 18", 36"
paint brushes, small
knee socks, to make dusting bags
cookie cutters, various numbers, alphabets etc.
cupcake liners
leaf cutters
flower cutters and forms
palette knives
gum paste tools, PME
CMC
dragees
pearl dusts
petal dusts
tweezers
wires, 26 to 18 guage
floral tape
stamens
ziplock bags
pastry bags, 12", 14", 18"- hygo brand
Air brush
food colors
air brush colors
tooth-picks
skewers
dowels
bubble tea straws
loads of racks for storing
plastic container for storing
And SANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone already mentioned CK products, sign up for an account with them, they're the best.

I hope this helps, I'm sure I left out some things.

TTFN
icon_biggrin.gif
Vicky.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:00pm
post #17 of 22

Don't forget long metal straight edged rulers, a triangle and a spirit level.

jessfmaldonado Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:19pm
post #18 of 22

Oh my goodness, you all are awesome!!!!! This helps sooooo much!!!! I will definitely see if we can sign up with ck wholesale! Wow, Thank you sooo much, I left out alot of things!! lol. Thank you all soooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone can think of anything else, please keep it coming. Knowing me I probably forgot it! lol.

Jessica icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:37pm
post #19 of 22

thank you. icon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessfmaldonado

Jessica icon_sad.gif

I wasn't being an ass. I'm assuming you KNOW you need tips, and turntables, and bags. Do you have your CREDIT CARD machine, and account setup?

Mike

Neither was I...I meant to ask how much money you got and the message saved and I couldn't edit it. Sorry you took it so seriously. Why is every single post on here lately people taking so seriously and getting so upset about?

jessfmaldonado Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm
post #21 of 22

[quote="loriemoms
Neither was I...I meant to ask how much money you got and the message saved and I couldn't edit it. Sorry you took it so seriously. Why is every single post on here lately people taking so seriously and getting so upset about?[/quote]

Hi loriemoms, I'm sorry if I took it out of context. It really seemed like you were being condescending saying I need money. I'm sorry I took it the wrong way. I wasn't "SO" upset by it, just a little hurt because I was asking for help. I felt like if someone doesn't want to help that is fine but to go out of your way to be rude about it, I just didn't care for that. However, since you stated that you never meant it in that way, I'm sorry I took it that way!!! I never like the problems that happen here on CC and never do I want to be a start or part of that!!!! I actually admire you and your work ALOT!!!! I would take advice from you any day!! Sorry again for being too sensitive about this. I just have been majorly stressed I guess!

Jessica icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

loriemoms Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:22pm
post #22 of 22

no problem, Jessica. The software here has been acting wierd lately. I quoted someone, and it wasn't even what they typed! Very odd.

But back to your subject, I am STILL buying stuff constantly for cake decorating. If you don't have huge amount of bucks to work with, then I would just buy things as you need them for cakes I also do not recommend you buy ANYTHING wilton (I Know, I will get slammed for that statement) I have yet to find a single product they make worth anything..you will end up replacing it. Even their cheap little tips.

Set up an account with CK (as someoen suggested) and Bakery Crafts. And get your hands on every nicholas lodge dvd you can find!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%