Flavoring Fondant

Decorating By handymama Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 9:12pm by -K8memphis

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 7

I think I must be on an all-out campaign at this point to make fondant something that more people like to eat. I'm so tired of putting all of the time, money and work into fondant only to have people peel it off with an "I don't like this stuff" comment. I've even given myself extra headaches by rolling it super thin so it would be more pallatable. Creme bouquet doesn't help. Neither does almond and/or vanilla. A new vendor at the ICES convention in Orlando had flavored fondants that were so good it made you want to bury your head in the bottom of the bucket and eat your way out, but oh my icon_surprised.gif they were pricey! Has anyone come up with a killer way to make fondant taste wonderful?

6 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 7

One of the biggest problems is, no matter how good the fondant you use may taste, once many people have made up their mind that they don't like fondant (mostly because they have either had bad fondant or they've heard how horrible it supposedly is), that they become unwilling to try it again, no matter how good you claim it to be.

I use Satin Ice and I haven't had any complaints yet--at every event there are a handful of people who swear "you shouldn't eat it" or "it's only for decoration," but the majority gobble it right up with the cake, and actually rave about how they never realized how tasty "that stuff" actually was. I have to beat my daughter back with a wooden spoon when I'm working with it because she tries to steal it all for a snack! lol

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 7

What fondant are you using? Hopefully not that awful wilton stuff.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 7

PinkZ would not be using Wilton. She uses Satin Ice.

I add raspberry (oil) flavor to mine--tastes great.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 7

k8--what brand of flavor do you use, and how much per 5# of fondant?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 7

From what I heard several taste tests were held and the consence was NOT the *taste* but the *texture* that people object to.
As I rememvber one of the tests had them taste the fondant alone. They said yes, they liked it. That same fondant was put on cake and those same tasters said they didn't like it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 7

I use pettnice or satin ice--I just add dots of flavor to whatever amount of fondant I'm using. For example--I punch holes down into it and put a dot of flavor in each hole and squish it all together--if it's not enough I do it again. It doesn't take a lot. I just do it to taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%