Please Help- How Far In Advance....

Decorating By anku Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 12:46am by anku

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:15am
post #1 of 5

I need help badly to figure out my cakes and travel plans. I'm going on a vacation from Nov 21st- Jan 8th and have two cakes for Jan 11th!!
I need to figure out what all can I make in advance so that when I come back home...all jet lagged I'm not all THAT overwhelmed.

1. Can I bake the cakes in advace and freeze them for that long a period??( Almost 1 1/2 months!)

2. I have to make some fondant sea creatures and animals for the cake and I plan on using sculpy molds. Can I make the fishes and jungle animals in advance and keep them in air tight box? I'll be using MMF.

3. I use Sharon's BC. Can I make that in advance too and freeze it?

Thanks so much for making me figure out this crisis! I really, really need your help.

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:44am
post #2 of 5

Hi, you can bake the cakes and make Sharon's bc and freeaze them. No problem.

MMF figures, you might have to add a little bit of CMC/ tylose to it and make them and you could put them in an airtight box. I haven't made any figures with MMf. So hope someone else can be more helpful.

icon_smile.gif

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 5

I have used mmf for modeling, but I do find that it works better with a little gumpaste mixed in to it. However, it doesn't have to be a 50/50 mixture.

I have made animals a long time in advance and let them dry completely. Once dry, you can store them in an airtight container until needed. Oh, I did notice that sometimes the fondant hardened in a way that made a slightly different texture, but it could have been the gumpaste I was using. It wasn't bad, just different. Also, beware, storing them that long, they will get very fragile and brittle. So, you might want to make extra.

HTH,
Mandi

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 5

Yep, as they said......bake now & fz. Wrap well in plastic wrap OR put into a ziploc bag then wrap in foil. It will be just as fresh as if you baked it that dayicon_smile.gif
B'cream fzs well also.

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:46am
post #5 of 5

Thank you, Thank you for all the advice and help! I can now feel litttle more relaxed about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%