Im Goint To Chicago Next Week....what Is A Must See...

Decorating By Jovy Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 2:34am by Boofycakes

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 24

Im taking wedding cake construction class at the French pastry school next week. Is there a must see place? icon_biggrin.gif

23 replies
this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 24

Get pizza at Gino's East on Superior. (Wear loose pants!) Visit the Harold Washington library and the Sears Tower; fascinating architecture. See the famous and beautiful Buckingham Fountain. Walk up and down the Magnificent Mile for cool shopping. Visit Rush Street at night for some great live jazz. Soldier Field (Bears football stadium), the planetarium, and the aquarium are all near each other.

ccbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccbakes Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 24

Go to Navy Pier and Ed Debevick's. There's a nice cake supply shop called cakewalk chicago that's off of 99th street on the south side.

ccbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccbakes Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 24

Go to Navy Pier and Ed Debevick's. There's a nice cake supply shop called cakewalk chicago that's off of 99th street on the south side.

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 24

I love Lou Malnatti's pizza!

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 24

Gotta see the "bean" at Millenium Park.

dawncr Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 24

Gotta see the "bean" at Millenium Park.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 24

Have the ritzy (but more affordable than dinner) lunch buffet at the 95th floor restaurant in the John Hancock Bldg..... Get a window seat!!!!

I just looooove Chicago!!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 24

Buckingham Fountain has a fantastic light show in the evening -- so try to catch it then.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:44pm
post #10 of 24
T-Bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Bird Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 24

I don't know if it's still open to visitors or not, but the Sears Tower is somewhere to visit (if they still let you go to the top) And definitely Navy Pier.

dawncr Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #12 of 24

OK, there are lots of things tourists do in Chicago, but when I go into the city, one of the places I love to stop for lunch (or even breakfast) is a great gourmet grocery/bakery/cafe called Fox & Obel. It's close to Navy Pier, and I'd say about half a mile, maybe from Merchandise Mart, where you have your class. There are all sorts of gourmet and international foodstuffs that one only finds in true gourmet food shops. And the food is to die for. Definitely worth a stop.
http://www.fox-obel.com/index.asp

It will be one of the most beautiful in terms of fall colors next weekend, and if you can *possibly* fit it in, I highly recommend the architectural tour on the river. I know when someone recommended it to me, I thought, "Meh." However, it was truly wonderful, and made me appreciate architecture in a way I never had. I *think* the tour guide I had was the author of a book on the subject, Jennifer Marjorie Bosch. She's very knowledgeable, and adds tidbits about the architects and calls attention to repeated motifs. Try to get her tour, if you can. As a caker, I know you have an artistic eye, so I highly recommend fitting it in. I'd try to call and reserve ahead, because they'll be booked because it'll be so beautiful.
http://www.architecture.org/tour_view.aspx?TourID=8

Finally, if you've read "The Devil in the White City," you might want to peruse Graceland cemetery, or the old World's Fair site. Those are best done by tour guide, however.

And, it's just my humble opinion, and probably because I've been there so many times, I recommend skipping most of the museums (Art Inst of Chicago excepted), and going on a food tour of some of the neighborhoods. There are ethnic food tours, Chicago-renowned foods tours, and even a tour of chocolatiers. That gives you a real "flavor" of the Windy City and its peoples.
http://www.chicagofoodplanet.com/html/public_tours.html#near_north_food_tour
http://www.ethnic-grocery-tours.com/
http://www.chicagochocolatetours.com/

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #13 of 24

I absolutely love Chicago! I was there for a few days last weekend for my birthday and I also recommend an architectural tour. A friend recommended it to me and it was awesome! Take a jacket and scarf though. icon_smile.gif

Have fun!

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:31am
post #14 of 24

The Chicago Marathon is this weekend on sunday. Navy Pier has their Hancock Halloween celebration going on called Navy Fear. I love the Art Institute, and it is right next to Millennium park. But it really matters what you like. there are a number of zoos, museums, restaurants, bars, and theaters. Whatever you end up doing, I hope you enjoy your stay! I love the city, it's beautiful!

FYI, the John has a better view than the Sears Tower icon_smile.gif

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:29am
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleH

I love Lou Malnatti's pizza!

DITTO! Best pizza in the world. I like Lou's way better than Gino's. We drive down there about once a year to stock up on their frozen pizzas. If you go, make sure to get the butter crust. thumbs_up.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:00pm
post #16 of 24

What about the BIG BAR...I was watching it last night on the Food Network and they have like the biggest Strawberry Cake (Strawberry Tallcake) it looked so yummy! They had this big blue martini...Everything about that bar is BIG!!!

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:21pm
post #17 of 24

thank you all...I will try to fit everything in my 4 days in Chicago...I am looking forward to this trip but at the same time I feel sad because I am leaving my 13 month old baby girl and my hubby...should I feel guilty?????

I have never been in Chicago so It will be a good experience...I will share pictures of my trip and class....

GLEIGH75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GLEIGH75 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:30pm
post #18 of 24

Don't feel guilty!! Even Moms and Wives deserve some time off once in a while. Tell your DH and baby girl how much you love them then go have a great time and take lots of pictures and enjoy a fabulous city.

Chicago is a great city and you will love it icon_smile.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:38pm
post #19 of 24

I've only been once and I LOVED it! I want to go back. I agree..navy pier is fun..I loved the 3D imax theater, something we dont have around her. Great shopping, food..Best ribs, steak around. We did the sears tower, sheds aquariam had a great time. Oh and you gotta get a funnel cake! They were being sold by vendors all over the place. Can you tell i'm hungry.?;0)..
I only went for a weekend but it left a BIG impression on me. I'll definitely go back.
Have fun!!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:38pm
post #20 of 24

If you're a comedy fan you can always catch a Second City show. The last time I was in Chicago, my DH and I went to two shows and they were both hilarious!

Boofycakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:42pm
post #21 of 24

I love Lou's better than Giordano's and Gino's, but Pizzeria Uno is pretty yummy, and you can go to the original location down town. Thats always a fun experience!

I agree, the buttercrust is TO DIE FOR <3

You have to let us know what you end up doing on your visit icon_smile.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:35pm
post #22 of 24

Dinner at Alinea - a molecular gastronomy place www.alinea .com

Lunch at Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill, a few blocks from the Hardrock Cafe

Guided Bike ride around the city, great fun!

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:40am
post #23 of 24

I've been looking up Chicago too. I had been 15 years ago for a girl's weekend ,so I would like to go with my bf and be more of a tourist and see the sights ,instead of just shopping and nite clubs.

I saw that they have Segway tours,which would be very cool to ride around on one of those.

Yes ribs and pizza are on the list of food items. I too saw the Food Network show on BIG BAR and it looks pretty cool. Lots of different types of boat tours too!

Now this is all making me wanna go.........

Boofycakes Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:34am
post #24 of 24

oooooh.... BIG BAR is fun! I was there over the summer with some girlfriends. They have some mighty big drinks.... they're not kidding when they call it BIG BAR. Just make sure you have some BIG money! Their drinks dont come cheap! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%