Red Fondant????

Decorating By jamielittle Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm by fat-sissy

jamielittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamielittle Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 14

How on earth do I make red fondant? The cake stores near me only sale Wilton Red (yuck!) and I need red fondant for Sunday? Any tricks? I've added a ton of red coloring to my fondant and it's just bright pink. Help!!!!!

13 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 14

well for next time, buy satin ice precolored red fondant but for this time since you're under time constraints, why don't you try using the wilton red fondant and mixing that in with whatever you've already got. that stuff is pretty strong and mixing it in with MMF or satin ice might cut down on its yuckiness.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:37am
post #3 of 14

Hi! If you make your fondant homemade, you can just use red chocolates. Check my white chocolate fondant recipe and substitute the white chocolates for the red candy melts. It is very yummy and will be pure red!! princess.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:59am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandu001

Hi! If you make your fondant homemade, you can just use red chocolates. Check my white chocolate fondant recipe and substitute the white chocolates for the red candy melts. It is very yummy and will be pure red!! princess.gif

I went straight to your profile. It isn't listed. Do you mind PMing me your WCF recipe that would be FAB. Red sounds devine! icon_smile.gif

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:14am
post #5 of 14

Only thing i can suggest is if you are able to use a airbrush do so... red is one of the hardest to mix into the fondant so i now airbrush mine.. unless it is for little things like flowers etc..

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 14

Chinese red gives a nice deep red color.

GI Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:43am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

Chinese red gives a nice deep red color.

Is this a color name for Americolor-type brand or something else?

alanahodgson Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:54am
post #8 of 14

the one I've used is by Cake Craft. Here's a picture of the packaging.

http://www.ahcakedesign.com/chinese.html

I've seen the color by other brands, but this is the only one I've tried. I get it at my local cake store.

kandu001 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 14

Since my recipe hasn't been posted yet, but it has been submitted....Here it is! It is super yummy! ENJOY! princess.gif

Ingredients:

1 lb. candy coating white chocolate

3/4 c. corn syrup

4 lbs. powdered sugar

8 tbsp. hot water

1 c. glucose (I get this at cake/candy supply stores)

2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. salt

4 tbsp. white crisco

Step 1: Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave or over a double boiler, stir in the corn syrup, set aside so it cools. It should form a pasty dough.

Step 2: Put powdered sugar in the bowl of a mixer, make a well in the center. Set Aside.

Step 3: Mix water, glucose, vanilla, salt, and shortening together in a saucepan. Heat until shortening is almost melted.

Step 4: Pour into the well of powdered sugar, use dough hook and mix until incorporated, about 4 minutes. Add white chocolate mixture to mixing bowl a tablespoon full at a time, until incorporated.

Step 5: When mixture is too hard to mix, take it out and turn on a powder sugar dusted surface, knead in the remaining powdered sugar.

Wrap very tightly in plastic wrap, then place in a ziplock bag. It will get somewhat hard, but kneading it will loosen it up. Use within a month.

GI Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

the one I've used is by Cake Craft. Here's a picture of the packaging.

http://www.ahcakedesign.com/chinese.html

I've seen the color by other brands, but this is the only one I've tried. I get it at my local cake store.

Thanks! I have a bit of both Cake Craft & Wilton colors. I have 1 bottle of AmeriColor (Black) and am about to make the big switch to AC but I have all these other colors to choose from!

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:52pm
post #11 of 14

I need to mak red fondant also. I'm interested in kandu's recipe. I live in a small town and wondering about where to buy the glucose. Does Wilton make glucose? I have access to a Hobby Lobby, but that's about it.

alanahodgson Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:26pm
post #12 of 14

Yes, Wilton does sell glucose. I've seen it at both Michaels and JoAnn's. Don't have a Hobby Lobby.

kandu001 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 14

Wilton does sell glucose, but I don't know about Hobby Lobby, there isn't one near me. You can buy it online if there isn't a Michaels, JoAnne's, or AC Moore near you. It's about $5 for a container that makes one batch of my fondant recipe.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #14 of 14

I"ll bet tI'll find it at Hobby Lobby since it's a Wilton product. THANKS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%