Jitters.....am I The Only One?

Business By karateka Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 1:37am by Jenni2383

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:58am
post #1 of 12

For some reason, I am freaking out about this wedding cake I'm making. I don't really know why, either!

It's a 4 tier square, with ribbon around the bottom of each tier, some scrollwork, and icing flowers.

I dreamt about this cake last night and it was all nightmare. I woke up tied in knots and had a migraine during the middle of the day. I have to start baking tomorrow and for some reason I'm nervous as hell! I don't understand it, either.....I've done this kind of cake before. It's recipes I trust. There's nothing too technically challenging about it. But I need a chill pill or a drink or something, I'm telling ya.

Does this ever happen to anybody else, or am I candidate for the loony bin? I feel like a real lunatic. Maybe saying it out loud to other cake people will make the boogeyman go away. icon_confused.gif

11 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:13am
post #2 of 12

I've been known to get a case of the jitters when "wedding day" rolls around, but I'm usually more excited about making the fabulous design I have in my head a reality. Try looking at it that way, maybe that will help some! icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:17am
post #3 of 12

I do that with every cake I get an order for ! If its a practice cake Im fine and it goes smooth but when its for someone else I get all stressed out ! I get so worried about having a problem I think I create them. But looking at your photos I dont think you have to worry at all. Like you said you have done that style before, Im sure it will be beautiful!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:22am
post #4 of 12

My biggest worry is transporting it. I will do almost anything to avoid transporting a cake because I HATE IT!
I get migraines, too, and I get so stressed when driving a cake around that I am afraid I will bring one on.
I think most of us go through this. Good luck! It will be fine.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:29am
post #5 of 12

It doesn't happen with every cake, but I still get cake anxiety attacks from time to time lol.

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:32am
post #6 of 12

i still get big-time jitters every time. you are not alone!

Laura612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura612 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:53am
post #7 of 12

So, how did it go?

karateka Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:09am
post #8 of 12

I guess it went ok.

I had a royal bear of a time with the corners and edges. I think I need either intensive buttercream lessons or a new recipe. I was trying to do sugarshack's method, but nothing was working for me.

I of course am not happy with a few aspects of it. I think one tier of scrollwork looks weird. And the maroon mums look almost black. The darkened considerably as they dried.

I haven't heard from the bride, but it does look just like the contract specified. She provided the ribbon, so if she agrees it's too big, then it's her fault!

I have another square wedding on Nov 8 with a huge quantity of piping, and I can feel another headache coming on! I'm gonna watch Sharon's video again, and try her icing recipe.

Here's a link to the picture:http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1274790

Thanks for asking! And thanks for letting me vent. I was really tied up in knots over this one for some reason! So glad its over.

karateka Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 12

Boy, did I have and Oh, F#@$ moment with this bride! I only just got my heartrate back to normal!

She calls and says I'm bringing back your stuff, will you be home? I said I would, and start to ask about the cake and she hangs up. I was FREAKING OUT. She sounded so short and clipped I was expecting a summons to be served with my equipment return!

Thank goodness when she got here she was all smiles and compliments and "I'm definitely referring you".

Phew.....I don't have enough nerve for this profession!

Laura612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura612 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:19am
post #10 of 12

I'm glad it went well. I would have freaked with that phone call as well. Hopefully she just has a lot on her mind trying to get everything organized after the wedding. LOL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:29am
post #11 of 12

Don't you just hate it when people order cakes that never seem perfect enough??? I've had a couple of those, luckily the brides always have loved them......but sometimes I'm just like...."are you sure, that might not look that good" and when it comes down to it...it's their cake and THEY know what THEY like!!

Jenni2383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni2383 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:37am
post #12 of 12

OMGosh, I didn't sleep for 3 days in July before a wedding cake and it turned out fine. The next week I didn't worry at all and the bottom tier just fell apart and I had to replace it with a dummy at midnight, the night before..........I am starting to get the willys about the one for next weekend already!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%