What Does It Take?

Business By suz3 Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm by keyshia

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 3

Is there anyone out there who is a licensed home baker in Tulsa, OK? What does it take to become licensed? I'm afraid there will be things I have to do that I am not able to do because of finances. Please help! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 3

Most states regulate bakeries via the department of Agriculture. I would start by checking with them. You might also check with a local chamber of commerce or other local governing body. (Dept of Health?)

Good luck!

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 3

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:21 pm

After hours of digging this is the closest thing I found for those of us in Oklahoma. I found this information on a Tulsa Dept. of Health web sight. http://www.tulsa-health.org/food-safety/faq/


Can I prepare food items in my home and sell them to the public?

Foods offered for sale to the general public must be prepared in a licensed, commercial-type kitchen. The facility must be completely separate from any living or private quarters. Commercial grade equipment is needed which, depending on the foods prepared, may include refrigerators, hot food units, dish-washing equipment, hand-washing sinks, and mop sinks. Construction materials for the floors, walls and ceilings of the food preparation area and the restrooms are required to meet certain standards as well as certain lighting requirements. Licenses are required from the Oklahoma State Department of Health and some cities require a separate license also. The Tulsa Food Code is available on our web site which goes into more detail on food establishment requirements.

Other information is pending with the Department of Argiculture to see if there is a breeze way for fresh air because this stinks.

*desperatly digging for a loop hole*

I found this in the sticky int he cake business forum under the home licensing. It was on page 10...hopefully that helps. icon_smile.gif


Quote by @%username% on %date%