Cake Central Reports

Lounge By beemarie88 Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 2:08am by Monkess

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:44pm
post #31 of 37

Kory and Laura I feel your pain. Anytime an infomercial comes on my 4 yr old stands and stares at the tv, it ridiculous. Shes especially attracted to anything Billy Mays advertises. I thought maybe she was a bit quirky icon_wink.gif but im glad to hear other kids are obsessed. icon_biggrin.gif

beemarie88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie88 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #32 of 37

My computer hasn't been working, so I just got the internet back. I will look into the dryer balls for you! thumbs_up.gif

beemarie88 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:33pm
post #33 of 37

Does It Really Do That -- Dryer Balls
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―

The Dryer Max Dryer Balls promise to help you do your laundry faster and more cheaply.

But does it really do that?

KDKA Consumer Editor Yvonne Zanos reports you throw them into your dryer with your laundry and the dryer balls supposedly make your clothes soft and fluffy.

The dryer balls claim to save you hundred of dollars on fabric softeners, dryer sheets and even energy costs.

In the end, our tests showed that the dryer balls did not noticeably lower the drying time.

We gave it a thumbs up for softening. A thumbs down on energy savings.

At a cost of $10 -- we say not bad and give them a mixed review overall.

beemarie88 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:39pm
post #34 of 37

----KDKA NEWS

Smart Lidz promises to fit any size bowl, jar, cup or can and make the seal vacuum tight so that even if a bowl of liquid falls on the floor, none spills!

We ask Sue Caputo of Wexford to help us find out.

Sue is usually surrounded by children.

Not only is she a teacher, Sue has two children of her own and she works as a nanny too.

Julia is 5 years-old and Mickey is 3.

They agree to help their nanny put Smart Lidz to the test.

Like most of us, Sue never seems to be able to find the right lid for the right container.

She thinks Smart Lidz could be the perfect product for her if it does what the infomercial's Chef Tony promises.

"My amazing Smart Lidz!," says Chef Tony. "With just a press, you can vacuum seal and store everything air tight."

But does it really do that?

Sue takes a medium lid and tries to create a vacuum on a dish with a wavy edge.

"It does!", says Susan.

"It didn't!," I say.

Something went wrong.

The lid went on, stuck for a few seconds and then suddenly let go.

We assume this is user error so we try a few more times.

We follow directions shown on the internet and on the box.

Just put the lid on top of the bowl.

Press your fingers into the middle of the lid, push down and voila... a vacuum.

We think we've got the hang of it.

The lids seem to be creating that vacuum and staying on.

We move onto the next test.

Are these lids really spill proof?

To find out, Sue fills a bowl with milk, puts a smart lid on top, creates the vacuum, and asks three year old Mickey if he wants to help us out. He agrees.

"Just throw the bowl on the floor, Mickey!" encourages Sue. "Throw it to Oreo (her black and white dog). It's okay. Just this once. Go ahead and throw it. Let it go!"

But poor Mickey!

No matter how hard he tries to throw that bowl, his hands just won't let go.

(This is so cute. It's worth watching the video just to see this poor little boy fight to go against his better instincts.)

We ask his sister, Julia, to give it a shot. No problem for Julia.

The bowl plummets toward the floor, hitting Oreo in the head, bouncing off and onto the floor.

This lid stays put!

Just to be sure. We try again.

This time Oreo has better luck.

The lid dislodges and Oreo gets a bowl of milk to lick up off the floor.

It just doesn't seem to be working as well as it should.

We find some small print directions in the box, the kind we should all read word for word, but rarely do.

The directions say there's a second step not shown on the infomercial or one the box.

"After you press down once," directions say, "to lock out any additional air, lift tab for a second while pressing down."

Sue says this second step makes a big difference, but what about the other promises?

"You can go from the freezer to the microwave to the table all in the same dish," the infomercial promises.

The secret is supposedly space age polymers.

Sue loves the idea of leftovers straight from the table into the refrigerator, and right into the microwave, but when we take the dish out of the microwave, we notice that the vacuum seal is broken.

That wouldn't be a problem, except that we are unable to get a vacuum seal with this lid on any bowls.

What's the problem?

Back to the fine print in those directions, which tell us to break the vacuum before we put the lid in the microwave.

"Overheating can ruin a lid by causing the center to become floppy and loose," warn the directions, but you can fix the problem by running the lid under hot tap water.

We give it a try, but no go. It didn't work. No vacuum and no wonder. Our lid has a hole in it.

So much for microwave safe.

However, in spite of its obvious limitations,

"I think it's great," Sue says. "I think it's wonderful. You know how many times kids are walking, you have a lid and it drops and sometimes the dog will get fed and sometimes he won't.!

Overall, the lids do a good job as lids.

Fine for the refrigerator but stay away from the microwave.

Who wants space age polymers on their food anyway.

For that use, we say thumbs up.

If you buy them on the internet, we say thumbs down.

Ten dollars plus $7 shipping and handling doesn't sound bad, but people have been telling us they've had shipping and handling charges of as much as seventy dollars.

One woman sent her product back and was charged a $75 restocking fee.

Stay away from this company's on-line games.

We found Smart Lidz selling at Boscov's for $9.99 with no shipping and handling.

And remember, If it doesn't work, take it back!

mkgsweims Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkgsweims Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:59pm
post #35 of 37

I use dryer balls all the time and they work great! Saves me a ton of money on softener and keeps my washer cleaner. There wasn't a big difference in the drying time, but that didn't matter much to me. I just like that is saves me $$$ and is eco friendly.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 6:46pm
post #36 of 37

I did purchase the Aqua Globes and I have to say, they are fantastic. I absolutely love them. My hubby kept saying that all of the water would come out of them and we would have a problem. But it did exactly what it was advertised to do. It took two weeks before they needed refilling. Now I just wish they made some that were a bit smaller for my small plants. Works great though.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 2:08am
post #37 of 37

Great thread! I actually returned my aqua globes, they woyld fill up with the dirt and it was too hasslesome to keep unblocking them and i found the plant actually dry since there was very little water due to the blockage..glad it worked for some of you though, perhaps the soil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%