Crysanthemum Help

Decorating By karateka Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 9:39pm by karateka

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 11

I need to make some mums for a wedding cake due Saturday. I have to use frosting, as she didn't want to pay for gumpaste.

Can I do them in buttercream or do I have to use RI? I use a crusting buttercream recipe. Wilton has them down as a RI technique, but if one can do roses in buttercream, I'd like to think the mums could be done that way as well....

10 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 11

yes, you can do them in buttercream. will they be laying on the surface or down the sides?. if on the sides then done in royal would be your best choice.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 11

I made the mums on this cake from buttercream.
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 11

Definate b'cream. Use IndyDebi's recipe. She does all her flowers w/it and let's them sit out overnight to 'harden up'.......easy to handle.

karateka Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:51am
post #5 of 11

My buttercream recipe has butter in it. Can I still let them sit out, or should I freeze them? I don't want them to fall apart as I'm trying to take them off their wax paper squares and place them on the cake.

I figure they won't dry as hard as Indy's.....but will it be enough? I'm using some darker colors....maroon, gold, and orange. If I freeze them I've got to worry about condensation causing them to bleed all over my cake, don't I?

kakeladi Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 11

How much butter used makes a b it of a differece.
DO NOT!! freeze them! Mums are one flower that does not do well at all using the fzn flower methodicon_sad.gif
Why not make up a batch of Indy's just for the flowers? If there is any leftover it can be mixed into your icing later or save it for other flowers you might need. Hope this is not too late.

karateka Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #7 of 11

Well....I already made them. icon_redface.gif

They look ok, I guess....I ended up leaving them out to crust, and they seem to be ok. I picked one to sacrifice to science and picked it up off it's paper square...

NO PROBLEMS! YAY!

It's for a double batch of frosting, 1/2 lb butter and about 3 cups shortening and 4 lbs PS, some water, flavorings, etc. So less butter than shortening.

Thanks for your input. I'll post the pics if I ever get it done. And from now on mums get upcharged. Freakin' things are making my eyes cross.

karateka Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 11

Ok, sorry, one more question...

These stupid buggers are very fragile. I've busted petals putting them on the cake.

It's a 4 tier stacked cake and I can't really put flowers on until it's all stacked, but I've never transported 4 tier cake already assembled.

I don't have a problem transporting it in pieces, but am afraid my mums will bite the dust on the ride over. The least bit of pressure or jarring breaks a petal off.

What would you do?

kakeladi Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:00pm
post #9 of 11

Put them into a box w/some thin foam in the bottom. Yes, they are frigile so make plenty of extrasicon_smile.gif I do think mums are the most frigil of all flowers in icing.

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 11

put them in an egg carton

karateka Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 11

Gotcha....Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%