How Do I Get A Moist White/vanilla From Scratch Cake????

Decorating By LisaD923 Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 5:32am by ceshell

LisaD923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaD923 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 5

Ok I swear I can't find a moist white/vanilla from scratch cake recipe! Everything I try still seems dry or dry ish to me! Some recipes are better than others but overall doesn't meet my standards.
icon_cry.gif

I use a great choc cake recipe. it's very moist yet dense enough to stack. I've listed it below....

My question....could I leave out the cocoa and have good results? it's made with brown sugar, so what kind of cake would result? THanks!!

Sandy's Chocolate Cake:

3 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sour cream
1 1/3 cups boiling water

DIRECTIONS
In a mixing bowl, cream brown sugar and butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Blend in vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add alternately with sour cream to creamed mixture. Mix on low just until combined. Stir in water until blended. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. For frosting, in a medium saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Cool several minutes. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, sour cream and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Frost cooled cake.

4 replies
momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 5

Scratch recipes from the cake bible are all I use and they are fabulous. I NEVER have a problem with them being dry. I do use simple syrup on the cake if it is going to be a couple of days until delivery. You can go to her website www.realbakingwithrose.com and do a search. I think most of her cake bible recipes are on there since the book is older. Hope this helps.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 5

And I find the opposite. I'm about to toss the cake bible as everything in it turns out dry for me - ALL of it.

First, make sure your oven is heating properly (if your cakes take longer, this could be the culprit).

And the best cake recipe I have found that gets me RAVES every time is a famous makers cake... and I'm drawing a blank... I'll have to find it, but it's a yellow sour cream cake and it's DIVINE.

Melissa

ETA: It's Slyvia Weinstock's recipe. Do a google search. It's the best out there I've tried.

Tsquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tsquared Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

And I find the opposite. I'm about to toss the cake bible as everything in it turns out dry for me - ALL of it.

Me too! Every cake I've tried has turned out far too dry.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:32am
post #5 of 5

I'm over the moon about the Rebecca Rather white-on-white cake, it's fantastic, and very moist. In fact it's so moist it made horrible cupcakes, the wrappers just fell right off. I posted a link to the recipe on this thread http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605773.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%