Should I Cut My Prices Due To Lack Of Experience,education?

Decorating By PollyMaggs Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm by saygrace

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:06am
post #1 of 12

I had someone ask me how much I would charge to make them a cake like the one I made for my Dad's Birthday.(a 12/10/8/6) In my area it would go for anywhere from $350.00 - $450.00. But I feel like it could have been decorated better and look more professional if it were made by someone with more experience. It would have looked neater...if you know what I mean. I feel like my work is not worthy of what a seasoned decorator would charge. I guess what I am asking is, is it worth it? or should I charge less and increase my prices as I become more experienced? Each tier had a different flavor and filling, each torted, covered in fondant and the whole thing was hand painted. If you cant see the photo its the only tiered cake in my photos.
Thanks for you help and advice.
LL

11 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:16am
post #2 of 12

Honey don't beat yourself up!!! What a beautiful cake and a job well done. Ok, its not perfect, but there are no such things as perfect on this earth, save God, or so the saying goes.

I have always told my students to go scout out bakeries and look at the sites of those that they consider to be "Seasoned Decorators" you will find that their cakes also have flaws.

Besides, when I was in business school we were taught to know what it cost to produce the finished product, what mark-up we wanted to set and know what the market will bear. If you start low, you will never be able to increase your prices because you will be known as the baker or decorator with low prices and when you want to ask for more your customers will scream.

Take for example the gas prices, how sugar, eggs and flour have gone up. There are several topics already on this forum of peoples complaints that are out of our control.

So set your price and let it be. You do as good a job as a lot of the big kids do.

Sorry if this was a little long.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 12

I think the cake look awesome! I can tell you that you put a lot of hard work into it! I'm just learning and getting ready to sell myself, so I can't really help out with the pricing.. I'm sure some other people will get on here and help you out though! Goodluck!

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 12

I think your cake is great. Its worthy of the same price regardless of how much experience you have. You have talent regardless of how much training you've had you pulled this cake of great.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 12

If you have a doctor or a dentist in your area that charges less just becuase he's "new", let me know ... it's probably worth the drive over there.

You don't charge less because you're new ...... you charge more when you're highly experienced and sought after (supply and demand).

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 12

OTOH if you have a hairdresser who DIDN"T charge less when she was new, she's working in the equivalent of a supermarket bakery.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 12

I agree with the others. Check out some of the CC'ers websites to see their prices. Besides, unless a customer asks, you never have to tell them you're new to this. If they do ask... tell them you prefer your cakes answer that question. Once they see it it won't matter if you've been decorating for 8 months or 8 years.

Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 12

I am also new to selling my cakes and don't consider myself a professional. But, let me tell you something, your cake is beautiful and deserves the full charge because you are TALENTED. I just got taken total advantage of because I didn't feel I was quite worthy of charging a lot. Read my post....."What do I Charge?" and don't let the same thing happen to you. You ARE a professional!!!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 12

First of all...that cake looks amazing!!!

Understand, everyone has to start from somewhere. There are "seasoned" decorators out there who might tell you that they can't even do a cake like that!

Like another poster mentioned...know how much it took/takes to make a cake like that...then factor in your profit. That's the easy part. The hard part, I guess, is believing in yourself and your talents and feeling that it's worth every penny for you to charge what you do, and on top of that that people will pay it.

So to answer your question...NO, do not charge less because you are new. If you are making cakes like that, no one would believe you anyway! thumbs_up.gif

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I just dont have enough confidence in myself. My 1st paying customer was for the lawn mower and clock cake I only charged her 260 for both cakes and I know that was low but I didnt know enough about what cakes cost at the time. Having investigated the going prices in my area I just feel guilty charging that much just starting out. (I have only had 3 paying clients so far and one paid me with a new bright red 5 qt KA woohoo)But I understand and trust what you are saying, I will stay with the going rate and try to improve on the areas that I feel that I am lacking in, and my confidence in myself too. Thank you again. I could not have done any of this without the help and support I have received here on CC. You people are a godsend!!!!
Polly

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:05am
post #11 of 12

Polly your cake is beautiful and you should charge what your work is worth Full price.

saygrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saygrace Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 12

Your cake looks awesome. I too, felt guilty about the prices I charge being new and all but it takes work and dedication to produce a quality product. I did as the others said, and stuck to my pricing. People love the taste and designs of my cake so they come back. They will come back to you too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%