3D Cake Help...

Decorating By pinkalicious Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 1:11pm by caketherapy

pinkalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkalicious Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 8

Ok I need to make a 3D lighthouse cake. HELP!!! Where do I begin? What do I use for the top? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

7 replies
alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:42am
post #2 of 8

The easiest thing to do would probably be to make a rectangular cake and then make the lighthouse out of rice krispy treat, then maybe gumpaste railing around the top. Make rocks and land or waves out of the main cake.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:39am
post #3 of 8

Gosh... A long time ago there was a big discussion about lighthouses in the forums... Have you tried a search? It seems like I remember someone building a "platform" with a central dowel, sliding the cakes down on it, and then carving it... I thought Doug did a sketch of it...maybe it was in the forum post...

HTH,
Pat

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:43am
post #4 of 8

Search the galleries and try PMing the creator of one you had in mind.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:02am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbennett_8

Gosh... A long time ago there was a big discussion about lighthouses in the forums... Have you tried a search? It seems like I remember someone building a "platform" with a central dowel, sliding the cakes down on it, and then carving it... I thought Doug did a sketch of it...maybe it was in the forum post...

HTH,
Pat

This is how it was done on Ace of Cakes a season or two ago. Check out there website to view the finished product. Good luck!

itsasweetthing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsasweetthing Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:43am
post #6 of 8

Just a thought....how about making your light house with an edible image of a real light house and then cut in out after sticking it to a thin layer of gumpaste. Once it is dry, you can then put a loly stick on the back to make it stand up on your cake.
With some chocolate seashells and some graham wafer crumbs for the sand, there you have a beautiful cake!
Just a thought..... icon_smile.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:10am
post #7 of 8

Ok, heres' all the ideas you will probably ever need...read the descriptions, most of them tell you just how they do it. I'm just in awe....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=lighthouse

caketherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketherapy Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 8

I would bake a few sheet cakes using pound cake, make a stencil of the shape you want the lighthouse: hexagon, 6"circle... trace onto wax paper. use stencil to cut out (semi frozen) sheet cake, stack and touch up carving after stacked together. Dowel rod. If it has a pointed top you could make that part out of RKT.
Have lots of fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%