Does Anyone Else...

Decorating By pinkpanthachik Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 7:41pm by pinkpanthachik

pinkpanthachik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpanthachik Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:29am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone else LOVE the smell of meringue powder? Mmmmmm. I'd rather smell my buttercream than eat it.....that came out strange.

Anyways, I was wondering...what exactly does meringue powder do for my icing? Does it help it to crust over? (That's my best guess...) icon_razz.gif

3 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:58am
post #2 of 4

I think it stabilizes the icing, particularly in hot or humid weather. I know that my icing tends to slide off the cake in hot weather if I don't use the meringue powder.

It is (if I remember correctly) the powdered sugar that causes the crusting. I know that a milk/powdered sugar glaze crusts really quickly.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 4

Meringue powder does two things: (1) it stabilizes the icing, so it will hold up better in hot/humid weather, and (2) though the icing can crust without it, adding MP will make the icing crust faster and firmer, so it's great to add when you are using mats or presses to imprint patterns into buttercream, or want to make dried BC flowers.

So, I don't add MP all the time, but in hot/humid weather, for any outdoor reception, or when imprinting designs I do, about 2 T MP per 2 lb powdered sugar (a little more when making flowers). Oh, I also always add it to cream cheese buttercream when used on a wedding cake since it tends be softer and more apt to slide off the cake.

pinkpanthachik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpanthachik Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 4

Ooooh! I'll remember that. Next time I run out of it, I won't freak out and run to the store. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%