Interview, For Cake Decorator

Decorating By lainalee Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 8:11pm by TJCanadian

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:20am
post #1 of 8

I have an interview tomorrow for a cake decorating position with a very well established company. What do I need to know? I havn't been to an interview in over a dozen yrs. I am new to this industry from a professional standpoint. I have been doing cakes from home for about 10 years. Please check out my pics, any advice would be welcome. icon_eek.gif

7 replies
TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:47am
post #2 of 8

Good Luck!! Be prepared with knowledge about their company, look through their website, have some relevant questions about procss they use, the materials. ...whether or not you need to supply any of your own equipment. Companies usually like it when you've done a little homework, know about articles where they've been featured, etc.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:13am
post #3 of 8

I would for sure check out their decorating style. Show confidence in yourself but don't make them think you want to come in and change everything. I agree, let them know you like their company and would be proud to be working with them, not for them.

If they ask you to decorate a cake for them, choose something kind of clever but something which can be done quickly. I would have something in mind before I went in. Almost every job I have ever applied for asked me to do a cake for them.

When they ask you what kind of pay you expect, have something in mind. Let them know you are creative and that you love working with cake and translating, what the customer wants...to the cake they were dreaming of.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:54am
post #4 of 8

I have interviewed many times for decorator jobs. The equipment will always be a little foreign because everybody does it different y'know? Usually everything goes fine no worries.

But once they gave me a chocolate cake and super stiff white icing. icon_twisted.gif But of course I iced it great even though I asked for some water to thin it out and they could not give me any--wtf.

Once I had to dig through this disgusting ton of used decorating bags that had a bit of icing left to find enough of the colors I needed. triple yuck.

So they should provide you with equipment. It will not necessarily be what you are accustomed to though. I would not use my own stuff. It's too easy to loose a tip here and there.

Your speed is important and they will need you to be able to go with their flow. You'll do great!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:59am
post #5 of 8

And the place that couldn't figure out how to get water out of the faucet to thin the icing a bit used these ginormous bags that had the colored icing in there. One person did the colors every day and filled a huge bag that you had to balance on your arm to make flowers & stuff--weird. I mean there were no bowls or containers of colored icing. It was all stuffed in a 16 or 24 inch bag--very strange. Anyway.

You always learn something--at that place I learned how I never wanted to do it. icon_lol.gif

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 8

THANKS EVERYONE, I GOT THE JOB! Actually hired me on the spot yeasterday, Monday, started today! New facility, I have total run of the kitchen, and they are hiring a staff to assist me. This will be for corporate accounts, they also do Meals on Wheels, catering for many accounts, and now have set this new place up to accomodate all that plus now a store front bakery/deli. This is just perfect for me as I am trying to learn all I can about the catering end. Mon-Fri 5am-1pm. I am rambling but I am so excited. icon_lol.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 8

Congratulations! I don't blame you for being excited. It sounds great, and you obivously were just what they were looking for.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 8

Contratulations!!! I'm excited for you too. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%