American Cake Decorating Magazine

Decorating By Cakenator Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 1:07pm by mazz

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:03am
post #1 of 21

Does anyone know where you can buy this magazine or is it only available through subscription? Thanks

20 replies
moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:06am
post #2 of 21

Google it. I was able to subscribe online.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:07am
post #3 of 21

It's mostly through subscription. However, a local cake decorating supply store carries it here so I know it can be purchased without subscriptions.

KimAZ

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:07am
post #4 of 21

I've seen some back issues at cake shows and at some cake shops, but I got mine through subscription. However...I'm not going to renew. I didn't find it particularly helpful or interesting and was kind of disappointed.

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:55am
post #5 of 21

some barnes and nobles book stores carry them. sammie

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:59am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I've seen some back issues at cake shows and at some cake shops, but I got mine through subscription. However...I'm not going to renew. I didn't find it particularly helpful or interesting and was kind of disappointed.

It's an expensive magazine that went whole hog on fondant, so I dropped my subscription. They treat buttercream like the proverbial red-headed stepchild, and I find that annoying! But if you live for fondant, it's worth a look-see.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 21

If you just want to check it out and not buy, my library has them...yours might also.

ETA: I got a lot of back issues through Freecycle.org and you might even check out craigs list.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 21

I agree Susan....I am primarily a BC decorater and I found the magazine to soley concentrate on Fondant!Too bad really...I cancelled my subscription also!!

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 21

I still subscribe. I like it. Cake decoraters do not have many magazines out there. I have all issues of this magazine. When it was first published it was almost all buttercream. You're right now it is mostly fondant. Bummer.

GeminiRJ Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 21

I understand that fondant is king right now. I get it. But the annoying part for me is that when they request cake decorating articles featuring buttercream, the guidelines are so-o-o restrictive. It can't take longer than 2 hours to decorate, no advanced skills should be used, no pre-made items, and so on. You can do more with BC than strictly beginner level stuff, but that's the only thing they want to put in the magazine. Like I said, I find it annoying!

bostonterrierlady Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 21

I agree. There is so much skill using buttercream. I wish we could forward this to them.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 4:11am
post #12 of 21

WALMART sells them... icon_smile.gif

bostonterrierlady Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 4:19am
post #13 of 21

I forwarded our topic to the editor of American Cake Decorating today. Here is his reply. Thought you would be interested.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have also come to this conclusion and am taking steps to find good buttercream ideas. What I need is more original buttercream ideas to cross my desk. I am always on the lookout for talent--and if there is one thing that I am short of right now, it is people who are dedicated to pristinely clean buttercream ideas. Ideas that exhibit good design and originality.

There are some people I have worked with over the past few years who I thought did great work, but I would like to get a variety of perspectives into the book rather than the same people all the time. There are established names that contribute regularly, but I do like to give opportunities to up-and-coming decorators with good ideas. GeminiRJ is right, the American Style Competition is restrictive--because it is aimed at a more novice level and limited to a 2-page layout. I know there is a need for more intermediate and advanced buttercream designs and I am actively looking for new people to bring these to life.

The best way to get noticed is to send me pictures. With the relentless turnover of deadlines, I have only a limited amount of time available to scout for ideas (I wish there was more time for this), and when the deadline gets close I have to go with what I have. Submitting pictures is a critical step in the process. Obviously, I cannot shift completely the other way and exclude gumpaste/fondant/pastillage, but I am currently trying to achieve more balance. Maybe the folks on your thread have some ideas...

I appreciate you taking the time to contact me and please know that I am always open to constructive criticism. There will always be room for growth and improvement and that is the part of the job that makes it enjoyable. People subscribe because they are looking for something to inspire them. If they aren't finding it in ACD, I need their feedback so we can make it better. We can't be all things to all people, but I challenge you to find a cake-decorating class that offers as much as we do for less than $30--and we will continue to refine and improve as we grow.

Kindest regards,

Craig Gustafson
Editor in Chief
[email protected]

GeminiRJ Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:42pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonterrierlady

I forwarded our topic to the editor of American Cake Decorating today. Here is his reply. Thought you would be interested.

GeminiRJ is right, the American Style Competition is restrictive--because it is aimed at a more novice level and limited to a 2-page layout. I know there is a need for more intermediate and advanced buttercream designs and I am actively looking for new people to bring these to life.

If you truly are interested in intermediate and advanced buttercream designs, why do you only ask for the novice level? Why not ask for the more detailed designs...in addition to the simpler stuff? You automatically discourage the more advanced decorators from submitting their designs when you specifically ask only for the novice designs, right?

bostonterrierlady Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 10:04pm
post #15 of 21

I think what he is trying to tell us is they want both. They seem to want to be expanding their articles.

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:57pm
post #16 of 21

Just got my October/November ACD magazine. They included at least 2 buttercream decorated cakes and they were really nice, especially the halloween cake with easy step-by-step directions. There was some work with a cake covered with ganache, very beautiful and explained well by Browen Weber. There was also some run sugar. There was a great mosaic witch halloween cake by Autumn Carpenter using chocolate transfers. So I thought there was a nice variety of techniques and I felt I got my money's worth.

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:19am
post #17 of 21

I don't mean to change the subject but I was wondering if you recieved the newest issue Oct/Nov. did it include pictures from the ICES - Orlando Convention? (I have not received my issue yet)

I was there and entered my 3d Bumblebee Cake in my photos - and was wondering if by chance it made it in the issue.

Please check out my cake and let me know.

Thank you.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:47am
post #18 of 21

I'm more of a recent subscriber (I don't have my latest issue yet, either) and I really think it's a great magazine. I really like working w/ BC and fondant, and I think they have some great articles in there. Like I said, though, I'm a new subscriber (since last Dec), so it's totally possible it used to be even better. I have to admit that I get sick of the Wilton Yearbook for the same reason (almost all fondant). It's annoying! Plus the Wilton Yearbook has too many little projects in it. I think it should focus more on regular cakes....

Ok, off subject, I know!

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:50am
post #19 of 21

Hi Mazz,
There was an article "2008 ICES Convention Review". They showed around 26 cakes, but I did not see the 3-D Bee cake. Sounds really cute. Is there any way you could post it on this site? Next issue they said they will talk about new products from some of the vendors that were there.

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:19am
post #20 of 21

well I am a fondant person
I dont think I have the talent for buttercream
I prefer fondant and I got my first magazine last month I think icon_confused.gif
beautiful cakes I was very happy with it.
But I would like to be one day good at BTC too icon_cry.gif
I hope....... icon_confused.gif

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:07pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecookie6

Hi Mazz,
There was an article "2008 ICES Convention Review". They showed around 26 cakes, but I did not see the 3-D Bee cake. Sounds really cute. Is there any way you could post it on this site? Next issue they said they will talk about new products from some of the vendors that were there.

Thank you for looking. You can see my cake my 3D Bumble Bee Cake in "My Photo" tab. I will try to attach a picture.

I enjoy American Cake Decorating Magazine and look forward to each issue.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%