The Worst Chocolate Frosting Recipe Ever!

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 2:14am by stephaniescakenj

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 13

OK, so I made a frosting that DH had eaten when somebody brought cupcakes or something into work... They gave him the recipe.

I don't know if I did something wrong, or if it is supposed to be like a melty whipped cream consistency, but it is AWFUL to try to smooth or decorate a cake with this stuff - it just MELTS. Luckily, it tastes pretty good, as does the dark chocolate cake and peanut butter filling under all this frosting... Plus I will have it well chilled so it won't be a puddle of grossness when I serve it at my mom's group tomorrow, but my cake looks like a big turd! I felt like such an amateur trying to decorate this stupid cake (and I though I had a good idea for the design going in).

Regardless of what happened with this frosting, this recipe now resides in the trash!
LL

12 replies
kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:16am
post #2 of 13

Well.....

I wouldn't say your cake looks like a turd, but I would have to say the color of the frosting is in the turd family.... icon_biggrin.gif

The reason I read your post is because I made the worst chocolate frosting myself last night. It looked like chocolate grit and tasted about the same. I semi-followed Paula Deen's fudge frosting recipe and failed miserably.

So don't feel bad. At least your frosting tasted good....maybe you could use it as a filling only.

icon_lol.gif

Kim

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 13

I can't see the picture, but I just had to say that there's something about adults using the word "turd" that makes me laugh until I cry.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 13

Yeah...it's that bathroom humor.

Guess we never outgrow it!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Kim

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 13

I think the frosting looks like ganache..... icon_smile.gif

Definitely NOT in the turd category. icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

ThreeDGirlie Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 13

Yeah, I love the word turd. I try to fit it into polite conversation any time I can. icon_twisted.gif I also love the word curd because it rhymes with turd... I'm twisted.

But seriously, this frosting was a nightmare. If it was soft enough to smooth, it would goosh to the bottom of the cake and leave the top corners exposed. And if it was soft enough to pipe, it would all sploosh out like a turd. Whipped ganache is yummier, and WAY easier to work with!

I think I need to find a good chocolate BC to work with and between that and whipped ganache, I'll have my chocolate frosting bases covered...

Any recommendations on a good chocolate BC? I prefer crusting, but I'll try anything...

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 13

My 4 year olds have recently discovered bathroom humor. Everything is "poop" this or "fart" that.

I can't see your pic, but I'm sure no one will complain with chocolate and pb!

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 13

Maybe the frosting should have been in the fridge before you decorated the cake.It is possible the person forgot to add that part to the recipe. The cake looks good--to me, I would eat it. icon_smile.gif

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 13

Just wondering...Does this recipe use chocolate syrup. Your description sounds awfully familiar to one I used last year. It was impossible to work with and looked poopy-ish as well...

ThreeDGirlie Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 13

No syrup. It started with melting 1 C chocolate, 1/2 C half and half, 1 C butter. Then adding PS and whipping over an ice bath until fluffy. The problem was, it lost it's "fluff" really quickly and got melty and droopy when trying trying to smooth it on the cake. And piping was a joke. icon_mad.gif

I seriously wanted to kill my husband, the person that gave him the recipe, or anybody that crossed my path yesterday - it was so frustrating!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 13

I'm not trying to toot my own horn but you asked for a good recipe. I have a chocolate velvet buttercream in the recipe section if you care to check it out. It crusts nicely and tastes great.

Jibbies

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:33am
post #12 of 13

I'm going to try it, Jibbies! I have been searching for a tasty choc. bc

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:14am
post #13 of 13

I bet if you let the chocolate cool more before adding it to the rest of your ingredients it would set up better, also chilling it for a bit and then rewhipping it. I tried to add melted chocolate to IMBC a few weeks ago and had a terrible time stabilizing it and I believe it was because my chocolate was too hot. On a second note, I tried Toba Garrets chocolate buttercream last night and it is to die for! It's on epicurous or in her book the well decorated cake. I didn't use the godiva liquer, I just added more milk. I also thought it was too light so I added more chocolate and it darkened up some more. It did crust too, but I'm not sure if that's because I put so much chocolate in it or if the recipe crusts on its own.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%