Pumpkin Cake In Normal Cake Pans?? Recipe Please?!?!

Decorating By Sarsi Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 5:24pm by SeriousCakes

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 16

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I've had a problem similar to this before!!

Does anybody have a great pumpkin cake recipe that bakes great in normal cake pans?

Please help me out! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif LOL...okay, I'm good now! icon_lol.gif

15 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 16

I use this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Cake-I/Detail.aspx
Sooo good! Even without frosting this cake is delicious!

Sarsi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks for your response! Does it rise all the way to the top of the pan and everything?

SeriousCakes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 16

It's been awhile since I've made it so I can't remember how high it will go. But it WILL rise lol! I think the last time I made it was in 2 8" round pans:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1167290
It's in my daughter's gallery since her and her sister decorated it icon_lol.gif
I had also used part of the batter from that cake for a very small 5" cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1167278

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 16

I made the Heavenly Pumpkin Spice Cake in the recipe section last week. It rose about the same as most doctored cake mixes, maybe just a little bit less? I made two 7" round layers and 6 cupcakes. The cakes are in the freezer, but cupcakes were great. They weren't super-pumpkiny, more like a spice cake than, say, pumpkin bread.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6818-0-Heavenly-Pumpkin-Spice-Cake.html

Sarsi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 16

Serious_Cakes, Okay, you've convinced me!! icon_biggrin.gif
I think I"ll give it a try then!

dawncr, thanks to you as well!! icon_smile.gif But I only bake from scratch, guess I should've mentioned that! And also was looking for something a little more pumpkin-y! LOL..

Thank you both for your help!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 16

I was also looking for a GOOD pumpkin cake recipe and then I remembered - I had the best pumpkin bread recipe so why not just try that in regular cake pans??? They were AWESOME. The bread is moist, dense and so delicious and the cakes were spectacular. I sent them to hubby's office with cream cheese filling and icing and he said they were gobbled up in no time.

If you want the recipe I have, PM me and I'll send. The recipe makes something like three large loaves of p/bread. I think it made three 8" or 9" rounds.

Julie

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 16

Julie,

Your pumpkin bread sounds fantastic! Email me the recipe, please. (You can get me through the link on my profile.)

I adore moist pumpkin bread. Pumpkin loaf at Starbucks is one of my favorites, and although it's expensive, it's safer because I only eat one slice at a time. I could eat an entire loaf in one sitting, I think. Better than pumpkin pie, by far, IMO.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:01am
post #9 of 16

Oh I've had the Starbucks pumpkin bread and it's VERY good. This recipe is easily as good or better!

I've e-mailed it to you so you should have it.

Julie

Sarsi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:08am
post #10 of 16

OH yes, I'd love to have that recipe too!!! icon_smile.gif Thanks so much!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakelady48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady48 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:57am
post #11 of 16

This is so coicidental, I just experimented on a pumpkin cake recipe today, because I need one for Sunday, (hubby is my judge) . It was wonderfully moist and flavorful,and rose beautifully. It makes a single 9" layer so I will have to double it for the size I need ,but thats ok.
Here it is:
Pumpkin Cake
1 1/4 cup cake flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
1 cup prureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup toasted walnuts chopped (if desired)

preheat oven to 325. sift together flour ,spices, salt and baking soda,,set aside. Beat eggs and both sugars until pale, 2 min. Add oil ,pumpkin,milk,vanilla until blended. add flour mixture in 3 additions on low speed. Pour into greased and floured pans. ( I also line bottom with parchment) bake 35-40 min. or until tester comes out clean

Hope you enjoy.HAPPY BAKING

Sarsi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:02am
post #12 of 16

cakelady48- Thank you very much!!! icon_smile.gif Does it mean that you can't use canned pumpkin???

cakelady48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady48 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #13 of 16

Sorry,, canned pure pumpkin for sure,,sometimes people buy pumpkin pie filling by mistake.

Sarsi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:11am
post #14 of 16

OH OH OH! Okay, great! I was wondering if for some ODD reason, it had to be homemade pumpkin puree!! LOL

Sarsi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm
post #15 of 16

serious_cakes- do you remember how much batter this made? or at least what size cakes you got out of it?

SeriousCakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:24pm
post #16 of 16

The recipe I posted would make a 2 layer 8" or 9" cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%