Black Royal Icing

Decorating By princess88 Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 12:17pm by Cakegirl20

princess88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princess88 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:22am
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I need advice on how to make black royal icing? I add black american colour to white royal icing and it comes out grey. How do I get it a jet black colour ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:18am
post #2 of 7

Okay had the same problem. (Newbie myself) It is best to colour the day before. Add your black and let it turn the grey colour and it will deepen by the next day. I have also read on the site that it is best to colour brown and then add black. I haven't tried this way yet.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:22am
post #3 of 7

All your color when you are making the royal icing. It takes a large amount of the gel color to acheive the black. I find it easier to add when I am making the royal icing

JSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSuzieQ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:34am
post #4 of 7

I actually just made black RI last week and it came out great. I used McCormicks black food coloring that I had gotten in a clearance bin at my local grocery store for 75% off. I figured, what the heck, if it doesn't work I didn't spend too much money on it. I was liquid, so it mixed very easily. Check your local grocery store in the spice section, it is with all of the flavoring extracts.

chicapastel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chicapastel Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:38am
post #5 of 7

To make black royal icing you can add leaf green plus chocolate brown, violet and black. That combination always works for me.

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:59am
post #6 of 7

It takes a lot of black to make it dark. Plus, I always try to start off with a brown and then add black...it really helps, plus it uses less gel coloring.

Also, if you make it a day or two ahead of time, it will darken on its own.

Cakegirl20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl20 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 7

Hi! I mix in some ready-made chocolate bc icing and then color black. If it isn't thick enough, add some more sifted powdered sugar. Let it sit for awhile, maybe 10 mins. or so? for it to look black.It works great! Hope that helps you out!

God Bless!
Cakegirl20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%