I've Been Asked To Be A Wilton Method Instructor!

Decorating By geri4292adams Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 5:58pm by geri4292adams

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:25am
post #1 of 6

I was just asked to become an instructor at our local Hobby Lobby. Are there any Hobby Lobby WMI' s that could share their experiences with me about working with Hobby Lobby? Any tips or things that might make my time there a little easier? Tips...Tricks... I've never taught a class before and am freaking out a little. LOL

5 replies
SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:42am
post #2 of 6

Congratulations!! I wish I had tips for you. My WMI wants me to apply to be an instructor as well. It's scary though.

geri4292adams Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:45am
post #3 of 6

My WMI had toldme to do it while I was taking her classes, but didnt think I could. Now that I've finished all of the classes and started to do m own thing, I feel like I can, but I still have doubts, am I good enough to teach someone? I have no idea, I just hope I can do it. LOL

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:47am
post #4 of 6

I think you'll do great! I get nervous as well so as soon as I finish my fourth course I might THINK about applying. It's like having stage fright. Like speech class... I can't do public speaking. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

AuntAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntAndrea Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 6

Well, I don't work at Hobby Lobby, but I did just become a Wilton Instructor -- I work at a local Michaels -- and I can tell you I'm very glad I did! icon_biggrin.gif

I had the same misgivings and concerns about becoming a WMI -- frankly, I still do have them!! icon_eek.gif I thought about doing it for several years, actually -- and then last year a friend challenged me to just go for it already. So at the beginning of this year, I finally filled out the online form. I was signed up as a WMI in late July, and scheduled my first class for September. I just completed teaching that Course 1 class -- and got to "graduate" my 10 students last week. It was a great experience, and everyone had a good time, especially ME! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm about to start my second class -- Course 2 -- tonight. What I've learned is that I DO have something to offer as a cake decorating teacher to these folks, especially my enthusiasm for doing it! They all seemed to respond positively and signed up for the second class. So I must be doing something right! icon_smile.gif

I'm very upfront with them about my concerns that I'm not like the people they may have seen on television, and that I struggled the same way they are with learning some of the techniques, but also about how it's cake decorating and should be fun, mistakes are fixable and the end result is always delicious! That seems to help calm both them AND me.

I'd say if you have the desire and the time to teach even just one class a month, go for it and sign up to become a WMI. They send you EVERYTHING you could need -- including DVD's of each class being taught so you know what's what. There's a ton of material on being a WMI, lots of support from your "Supervisor", and lots of other WMI's to talk to about it if you want to. They even sent me a bunch of info on how WMI's work at Michaels -- I assume they have a similar one for Hobby Lobby or wherever else they send WMI's.

I promised myself that if in the end I didn't enjoy teaching, I'd quit, but I would at least TRY it first. It took me a while to act on that, but I'm glad I finally did!! icon_smile.gif

Good luck to all of you!!! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!!
...Andrea

geri4292adams Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thank You all so much for the pep talks. Lol I really need them. I've been given the # to the lady I am to replace and will be calling her within the next couple of days. And I have also been in touch with my Instructor that taught my classes and she is willing to help me with what ever I need. I can't wait to start my own class. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%