What Is Another Recipe You Can Use For Decorated Cookies?

Baking By AmyGonzalez Updated 14 Oct 2008 , 1:44am by fiddlesticks

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 17

I made some cookies for the first time and I used the NFSC and antoina74 royal icing, but with the holidays comming up I was wondering if anyone has any spice or holiday cookie recipes you can use for decorated cookies.

16 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 17

Anything that can be rolled is a good choice -- gingerbread, rolled chocolate, rolled cutout cookie dough, etc. I stay away from sugar cookies which spread way too much and stick with any recipe that says 'rolled' in the title. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

atrmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atrmom3 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 17

What is NFSC? icon_surprised.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrmom3

What is NFSC? icon_surprised.gif

No Fail Sugar Cookie. I believe the recipe is in the recipe forums.

AmyGonzalez Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:40am
post #5 of 17

Thanks bobwonderbuns for the hint (rolled) I didn't know that. icon_redface.gif I want something that has pumpkin, spice, cinnimmon, nutmeg....you know warm and toasty flavors. Does anyone know of any rolled cookie recipes with that in mind? I looked at the ones on her, but didn't find any that fit my description. icon_sad.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 17

Here's one from Gail's recipe swap, a long time ago...
Pumpkin ROLL-OUT Cookies
3/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tbsp orange zest
1/2 cup canned or fresh cooked pumpkin
1 egg yolk
1 tsp pure vanilla
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine with electric mixer the butter, brown sugar and orange zest. Add the pumpkin, egg yolk, and vanilla.
Gradually add the flour and spices. Mix with your hands to create a soft dough. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Divide dough into two pieces. Roll out each piece to 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface.
Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-15
minutes.
Decorate with favorite frosting and candies.
--
Another, from the same place
Swedish Pepparkakor
3 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp grated orange peel
2 tbs dark corn syrup
Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon & cloves in a medium bowl. beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Add orange peel and corn syrup, beat well. Beat in dry ingredients until blended. Wrap and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven to 375. Divide dough into quarters. Roll one section 1/8 inch thick (keep remaining dough refrigerated) Cut with 3" cookie cutters, I use teddy bears or hearts. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets 8 to 10 minutes. Cool. Repeat. Decorate with decorative icing as desired. Makes 6 doz.
--

--

AmyGonzalez Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 17

Yeah! icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt,

Thanks so much! This is the kind of recipe I have been looking for! I will definitly be tring this soon! Love the pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg....already feels like the holidays! icon_biggrin.gif

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 17

That sounds good 7yyrd! I'll have to try that also.

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #9 of 17

Amy you might try just a basic "rolled cookie recipe" and add your own spices to it. I have one I use, just a real basic rolled cookie recipe and I frequently flavor it with orange oil, lemon oil, triple vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. etc. It's a very basic recipe that I play with depending on my mood and the season. icon_biggrin.gif

AmyGonzalez Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 17

Well girls I tried the pumpkin recipe that 7yyrt posted and it was great!Very spicy, my whole house smelled like thanksgiving. icon_lol.gif IMO I felt the 1/4 tsp of spices may have been a bit overpowering, especially after being in the kitchen all afternoon smelling it. I got a little nauseated at night, but everyone who walked into my house was going crazy wanting to know what I was baking. Overall I have to say it was a great recipe. I decorated the cookies with a cream cheese buttercream. They were delicious! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks Amy, I'll have to try that recipe! icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 17

Oh, heck! I should have warned you they are very spicy! I don't go halfway with flavors. If it's chocolate, it's really chocolate!

lakaty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakaty Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 17

I just tried a Cinnamon Spice Cookie from karenscookies.net. It was fantastic!!! I got rave reviews for the cookies!

icon_biggrin.gif

AmyGonzalez Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:44pm
post #14 of 17

7yyrt, thats ok icon_lol.gif My mom who is my biggest critic absolutely loved them, which is a shocker. icon_eek.gif Everything I make is always "ok" but this time she asked for more and more. icon_lol.gif I guess she is ALL for flavor also. icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:38pm
post #15 of 17

7yyrt what would you say the Swedish Pepparkakor taste most like ? Thanks and thanks for the recipes.

7yyrt Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #16 of 17

Oddly enough they always remind me of pumpkin pie - LOL! I guess it's the spices, lots of cinnamon. (I like to add other spices to them too, like allspice and anise.)

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 1:44am
post #17 of 17

Thanks !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%