Cutting Styrofoam For Cake Dummy

Decorating By summerolivia Updated 19 Mar 2017 , 8:54am by cutcake

summerolivia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summerolivia Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 12

I am making my first cake dummy (actually 2) this week. Can anyone give me suggestions for the best way to cut your styrofoam and prepare it for covering in fondant. I bought the styrofoam cutter (looks like a long stick that gets really hot) from Joanns and just tried cutting an 8" x 4" round out of a chunk of styrofoam. The end result is pretty bumpy around the edges. Will that matter once the fondant is on? I assume it will, but I'm having a hard time smoothing it out. Any suggestions? Do you all cut your "cakes" out of styrofoam chunks or can you find pieces already cut to the size that you want? Thanks for your help!

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 12

That is why I alwasy invested in ready to use styro dummies in the sizes, shapes neededicon_smile.gif
To smooth what y ou cut....take a chunk of unneeded styro and use it like sand paper to smooth off the bumpy edges. Yah, it will matter that is is not smooth to begin with. Ust rub the two pieces of styro together.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:38am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

That is why I alwasy invested in ready to use styro dummies in the sizes, shapes neededicon_smile.gif
To smooth what y ou cut....take a chunk of unneeded styro and use it like sand paper to smooth off the bumpy edges. Yah, it will matter that is is not smooth to begin with. Ust rub the two pieces of styro together.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to "say".

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:33am
post #4 of 12

I buy my cake dummies... time is money and I can't afford to be futzing around measuring and cutting styrofoam cakes lol. Definitely worth the price!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:38am
post #5 of 12

I also buy my cake dummies. It is so time comsuming to cut them out yourself. The cake dummies are worth the investiment.

summerolivia Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 12

Well, I obviously didn't use common sense when planning out my cakes. I didn't realize that you can buy the cake dummies already cut. So now I am down to the last minute and do not have time to order the dummies, and there is nowhere around that sells them. All that to say...does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the pieces of styrofoam that i have already cut? I will try the rubbing together technique that was mentioned above. Any other suggestions?

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 12

A fine sand paper will do the job.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 12

Find sandpaper or a microplane can help. When it gets down to it if you're still not smooth, you can "spackle" the surface in royal icing to smooth it out.

summerolivia Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 12

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fine sandpaper had crossed my mind, and I feel much better now knowing that that should work. icon_smile.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 12

I just had to use some odd shaped styrofoam pieces to make a cake myself and when I cut them, those nasty rough edges are really a pain.

After you get it as smooth as you can, use a wide paint brush and paint on shortening over the whole dummy. It will sink into the creases or divets and smooth them out. It might need to be painted on pretty thick if the divets are bigger. (a nice tip I learned at a class I recently took) The shortening also acts as "glue" so the fondant will adhere rather than using buttercream or piping gel.

For those without a hot knife cutter like me, another tip I just read about is to "wax" a serrated knife before cutting styrofoam by running the knife blade over an old candle. I haven't tried it but it was a tip I read on one of those free project flyers at Joanns for making styrofoam cakes.

KimAZ

summerolivia Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 12

Ok - so i dug out my microplane instead of going out and buying some sandpaper, and it worked better than I had imagined!!! Thanks for the tip!

cutcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutcake Posted 19 Mar 2017 , 8:54am
post #12 of 12

try a hot wire cutter you can cut any shape you want without any mess only £34.99 on ebay and made in the UK 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%