My Leathery Chocolate Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By ziggytarheel Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm by ziggytarheel

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 2

After wanting to try MMF forever, I finally took on the task for my grandmother's 90th birthday cake.

It was EASY to make. I think maybe because I've been intending to make it for so long and I'd read so many threads about it. Thank you everyone who so generously posts their tips.

I made two batches. A chocolate one to cover the cake and "regular" for decorations.

I covered the cake a little earlier today. What a mess! It would have been perfect if I was looking for a pocked and pitted leather effect.

Although stiff, the CMMF was fairly pliable today. I warmed it for 10 seconds, kneaded it and rolled it as best I could. My mat was vinyl and required no shortening or powdered sugar.

I rolled out the other fondant and it is soft and smooth as can be.

A few things I'm wondering.

- Did I not knead the CMMF enough before letting it rest? The phone rang and it looked fine, so I just put it away.

-Did I use too much shortening? I slathered shortening on everything the CMMF would possibly touch and reapplied the shortening to my hands numerous times. Moreso, I'm certain, than with the plain MMF batch.

-And here's the one I really wonder about. In a rather stupid move, I put all the liquid for the CMMF in a glass measuring cup and then realized that the water was to go in separately, before heating the marshmallows. Because I was short on vanilla, I decided to take a chance and just dip out 2 tablespoons of the mixed liquid and placed it in the marshmallows. I used Rhonda's MMF recipe, so that means there was a bit of lemon juice, lemon extract, salt and vanilla mixed in it.

Or is the CMMF just a lot more temperamental?

I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions!

1 reply
ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 2

I thought I would just give this a little bump before it is lost to back pages.

Any ideas?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%