Make Gourmet Caramel Apples

Decorating By JSuzieQ Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm by weirkd

JSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSuzieQ Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 6

I read some tips on here yesterday about making caramel apples so I decided to make some last night. I dipped my apples in boiling water to break-up the wax and then dried them really well. After I melted the caramel, I allowed it to cool and then spread it on with a wooden spatula. I read that you can put them on a styrofoam plate and they won't stick... that didn't work for me. I ended up scraping tons of caramel from the plate and then replacing it on the apples. My next step is really where I need help... I melted semi-sweet choc. chips and painted them on the apples over the caramel (I had already refrigerated them for a little while). Then I dipped them in crushed pecans. They looked really good so I put them back in the refrigerator to cool; when I pulled them out the chocolate had basically ran off and as well as the nuts.

Any ideas on how to get the chocolate to stick better and also what kind of chocolate should I use? The ss cc were a little too bitter.

Thanks for any advice you have... we love caramel apples and they are a great treat to make in the fall.

5 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 6

Here is what I do. It might not be the best way, but it works for me.I use the Kraft Caramels and a little bit of water. Dip the apples and swirl them around. I then put them on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper and put them in the fridge. Then I use the Wilton candy melts in a plastic decorating bag and drizzle that over the apples and put them back in the fridge. Make sure your chocolate is not too hot or it will run down the apple. Then I roll them in the topping of our choice. Some we have used were coconut, nuts, and my favorite is oreo crumbs. HTH!

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 6

I am glad that you asked about how to make gourmet caramel apples. I made some earlier this year and they were a disaster. I had so much problem with the carame adhering to the apple.
Thanks again for sharing-Licia

JSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSuzieQ Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks Stefanie! I think the chocolate that I used was probably too hot, therefore, that was part of the reason it ran. I will try the Wilton choc. wafers next time... I actually have some in my pantry. That's actually a really good idea because you can also use the colored candy wafers to go with whatever the seasonal colors are. Thanks again!

buttercup212215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercup212215 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 6

I aslo make caramel apples. If the caramel is too hot it will run off the apples and take the topping with it.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 6

You guys are making me hungry!!
They also sell sheets of carmel at the grocery store that are in circles. All you have to do is mold it to your apple. Then you can drizzle your chocolate on it and roll your nuts or whatever on it. Ive never had a problem with them sliding off. The only problem is getting to eat one before their all gone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%