Need Help Asap!!! Question About Filling??

Decorating By staceydayday Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 6:32am by Momkiksbutt

staceydayday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceydayday Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a vanilla cake with cookies and cream filling (heavy cream, sugar, oreos and vanilla) and Im worried about how long I can let it sit out while Im decorating... Its going into a 12 x 18 sheet cake which I'll be decorating the top of but Im scared to death its going to stay out too long while Im decorating and turn to liquid or get someone sick!!! HELP!!!

10 replies
tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 11

I've never used that, but I doubt you will make anyone sick. The worst that will happen is that the cream will sour and taste bad, and with all that sugar, I'll bet you are safe for a pretty long time. Sour milk won't hurt you-- just tastes gross.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 11

You shouldn't have a problem

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:17am
post #4 of 11

Are you making a Cookies and Cream Butter cream filling? (if so it will be fine unrefrigerated) or
Are you just whipping the cream and folding in the cookies? (this version may become liquidy (is that a word icon_confused.gif )if left unrefrigerated)

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:37am
post #5 of 11

Well I would recommend you do use this recipe for that filling. It's mine, and it's going to be alot more stable for a longer time, and it's going to taste like the real thing. And you should be just fine time wise too.

Lisa's Super Stable Whipped Cream

1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup powdered coffee creamer(only carnation no off brands)
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract

Mix the sugar and creamer together. Set aside. Whip the cream and vanilla together until partly thickened and then slowly pour in the sugar/creamer mixture. Beat until desired thickness.

At this point you may stir in any other ingredients you prefer, by hand being careful not to over stir.

This filling or icing will stand up and remain stable for twice the life of regular whipped cream. It also does not separate like normal whipped cream.

Hope this helps! Good luck to you!

Lisa thumbs_up.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks Lisa,

That sounds like a great recipe

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 11

Bettercream is very stable and can stay out longer time than whipped cream since is a non dairy product.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 11

I buy Pastry Pride at Smart & Final. Itl's in the freezer section. Comes in chocolate too. Couldn't stay out indefinitely but far longer than dairy. It's what bakeries use.

I also like to use one of them many flavors of jello instant pudding with it instead of milk. For example, I love the white chocolate pudding one with it. First gently whisk the cream or PP with the pudding... then whip it. It thickens quickly so it's better to mix them together first or may not blend entirely.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 11

Yeah..Pastry Pride is almost the same as bettercream!
Ednaicon_biggrin.gif

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 11

Lisa,
Thanks so much for sharing that recipe!!! I have wondered for long time how to stabilize fresh cream....

Kim

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:32am
post #11 of 11

Anytime!! And fresh beats fake anyday of the week!! LOL Just to give you some "proof" example, I made a small batch of fresh cream this way for a family dinner and I put a little in a container in the fridge(covered of course) just to "test" my theory. I kept it more than 7 days in the fridge and it never separated and it was fluffy. I wouldn't eat it probably after that long, but it stayed together great! The portion I used was for a dinner that sat on the table for about 3 hours or so. It was solid, still fresh and very yummy all the way to the last bite.

I also use this recipe and add cocoa for a "mousse filling". I did that on my daughter's 16th birthday cake I have posted in my pics along with a "inside" shot of the cake. I recommend refridgerating the cake after the first day(after serving), but it held up fantastically!! My daughter was even taking some to school for friends a few days later and it was just as tasty and the kids devowered(is the right spellings) it!

Any other questions just ask!

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%