Tylose Powder For Gumpaste?

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 11:32pm by tracycakes

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 8

I'm not sure what I did wrong but maybe someone can help me out. I've tried a variety of different fondant and gumpaste recipes and products to figure out what really works best for me. Recently, I ordered some tylose powder because I could add it to fondant to make gumpaste (or so I thought. icon_confused.gif ) This would work well if I wanted gumpaste and fondant to match exactly.

So, I had some fondant, Satin Ice I believe, that I had colored a burgundy color. I added Tylose powder according to the directions and make some roses and rose petals. I was able to roll it extremely thin, thin enough to see through, but it didn't get hard. I made roses and rose petals over 3 weeks ago and they are still flexible! icon_eek.gif My roses and petals travelled safely to OSSAS but why are they still flexible?

Does anyone have any advise? Thanks!

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, actualy can't figure out why that happened. Did you use 1/2 teaspoon of tylose to 250g fondant? Is it the weather over there?

tracycakes Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 8

I actually ended up adding more than that because it wasn't drying. It hasn't been humid and everything I've made that didn't use this mixture dried fine. This has remained completely flexible but holds it shape. I'm totally baffled as it's the first time I've used Tylose and didn't expect this at all.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:56am
post #4 of 8

I like gum tragacant better, it dryes harder.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:51am
post #5 of 8

tracycakes, I normaly use CMC powder. But all these stuff are same. I don't know whether its anything to do with the fondant. Hope somebody can help you out.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:11am
post #6 of 8

What did you use to color your mixture?

Think that kept too much moisture in there for it to firm up all the way maybe?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 8

I would guess with a dark color like that, it probably was the color.

I use a modified version of Nick Lodge's recipe. I LOVE it! If you want the recipe, just e-mail me, I'm happy to share it.

Jen icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! I used Americolor Red with a little black. I thought maybe it was the additional color but on Amazing Wedding Cakes, the Cake Atelier was making the blood red roses and saying that they dry faster with a lot of color. It could be the type of color used. I'll try it on something besides dark colors and see what happens. Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%