Advice On Freezing A Cake

Business By vickster Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 12:10am by Deanna1210

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 5

I've never frozen my cakes, but Thursday I baked and crumb coated a 6-8-10 cake made with Duncan Hines mix. then got a cancellation. I have an order for next Thursday for a school homecoming function and could use this cake for that order and give them a little nicer design (they were just going to go with my "budget" half sheet cake). But I really don't want the quality of the cake itself to suffer. So, I need a little advice on how best to hold this cake over until Thursday and if it will be as nice.
thanks

4 replies
Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 5

We freeze our cakes all the time, especially if its a crazy weekend. The best way I find is to double wrap in plastic wrap. Then place cake in a plastic bag(garbage bag if thats what you have) and then freeze. You can take it out the night before in the cooler and it will defrost perfectly. You will find your cake to be more moist and softer than normal. Good luck!

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 5

thank you monkess. I'll go wrap her up right now.
Of course they lost their deposit, but I sure hate to throw out that much perfectly good cake.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 5

Ofcourse, by all means! don't you just hate those last minute cancellations?!! Take care.

Deanna1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deanna1210 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #5 of 5

I had some extra batter from a dunkin hines mix and made 6" squares cakes out of it. I wrapped them twice in saran wrap and froze them. Unfilled, no frosting. I let them defrost in the plastic wrap, however, when we went to cut them for a tasting, they pretty much fell apart. Perhaps that would not have been the case if I crumb coated or frosted the cake. Just wanted to pass that along. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%