How Would You Do This?

Decorating By phoenix13 Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 4:46am by xstitcher

phoenix13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoenix13 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 17

http://www.eluxury.com/estore/browse/product_detail.jsp?id=11238866
I mean the checkerboard pattern? I don't have an airbush, so what would be the best way to do it? How about the handle, Would you put wite underneath, would gumpaste be best? How would I get it to stand? put skewers in the bases of handle? I dont want it to fall or droop.

16 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 17

W/o an airbrush you are going to have to cut each one of those little sqs and piece it togethericon_sad.gif
For the handle, yep, gumpaste OR a 50/50 gp & fondant is the way to go. Make it as far ahead as you can so it has time to dry. Yes, Iwould use skewers or those extra long toothpicks.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:22am
post #3 of 17

Here is a tip. I did a red/white check tablecloth cake. I used believe Marion Frost quilted cutter. This way all the squares were exactly the same. You could use fondant or candy clay for the squares. Goodluck.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:31am
post #4 of 17

or you could color the fondant/icing the lighter color and use the cutter nesweetcake mentioned and brush the darker color on every other square...

oooooooorrrrrrrrrrrr, you could get a checkerboard stencil from the paint section of the craft store and brush on the color....

all4cake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:48am
post #5 of 17

orrrrrrrrrr a small square foam stamper to apply the darker colored squares(may require guide lines)

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:50am
post #6 of 17

I'd try brushing the colour like pp mentioned. Cutting out each individual square might be really difficult trying to line up each square properly and making sure the fondant doesn't stretch while you are lifting it up.

I'd love to see a picture of your finished cake.

phoenix13 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 17

I love all your input, still dont know which method to use. I like the stamp idea. Will post pic when done. thanks.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 17

even if you used an airbrush, there would be alot of under spray. i would make a stamp out of a piece of 50/50 and stamp the squares on. i did this once for a cake and it works well.

Sammysue00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammysue00 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 17

I haven't done anything nearly as complicated as this cake would be, but I have had 2 experiences with checkerboard. The first time I tried to cut each square out and line them up.... it didn't work as well as I hoped. Because if they don't line up perfectly then everything looks all weird. The second time I used guide lines marked with a cutter to paint every other square with the color I wanted. In my opinion, that worked out much better. It took a little longer, but I think it looked nicer.

Hope that helps! Good luck! I'm sure it'll be great!

phoenix13 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 17

You won't believe how I actually did the checkerboard! I actually wove stripes of fondant like a basket , lightly rolled it out onto another piece of fondant and then placed piece on cake. It works and comes out pretty even. Thanks for all your help!
LL

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 17

cute cake - love the shoe border icon_smile.gif

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 17

Awesome job! The checkerboard pattern looks so perfect- great idea to weave the strips! The shoes are wonderful- great touches all the way around!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:17pm
post #13 of 17

Wow...the cake turned out fabulous! Love the way your checkerboard turned out. Thanks for the tip on how to make it.

all4cake Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 17

It came out greeeeeeeeeeat! Now, we have yet another way of getting the checkerboard effect! I think I like the idea of doing it that way best!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:18am
post #15 of 17

Another brilliant idea! Your cake IS awesome.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:33am
post #16 of 17

Great job! Love the shoes

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:46am
post #17 of 17

Great job on the checkerboard effect! Love the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%