Dora Cake Help For Newbee

Decorating By kboothe Updated 16 May 2013 , 8:40am by 2txmedics

kboothe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kboothe Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to do a Dora cake for my friends daughter. I am not sure how to create Dora and what to make her out of. I don't wanna do a bunch of stars to create the picture. I'm new at this but want to try some new things. Just not sure how to go about it. What are some good ideas to try? I am more that willing to try till I get it right.... icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:52am
post #2 of 10

Are you wanting to make a character cake or try your hand at gum paste figures or ?

Molly

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #3 of 10

Gumpaste figures would be nice...also maybe an edible image!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:18am
post #4 of 10

I tell my students that coloring books are great sources for licensed characters. You can do chocolate transfers, gel method, buttercream transfers etc to get the picture on the cake. If you have access to edible image from a copier that works too. As a newbie I didn't know if you have one. I would love one, but someday. The colors is another way to depict Dora. Orange, Red, Purple, yellow I believe ones. You could also cut the shape out and decorate it like a character cake if you don't have a pan. Hope this helps a some.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:19am
post #5 of 10

Try a frozen butter cream transfer. I did a Little Mermaid in my photos. They are easy enough to do and look realistic.

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:33am
post #6 of 10

kboothe-

There is an awesome tiered Dora cake you might be interested in looking at. It will be my inspiration for my daughters 4th bday! I don't know how to attach it, but if you type "Green Dora" into the search box it is the only cake that comes up! I think boween is the decorator. If you read down through the comments I think she tells how she did the Dora and Boots, image icing plaques maybe.

kboothe Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:31am
post #7 of 10

Not really wanting to use the character pans. Want to do something more creative. Willing to try working with anything

kboothe Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:36am
post #8 of 10

I thank everyone who sent in some great ideas. Can't wait to try some of them.... thumbs_up.gif I will still check in to see what else comes in.

kboothe Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:42am
post #9 of 10

I haven't used gum past and wasn't sure if it would be good to try. I am going to read up on it and try my hand at it this weekend. Any other info you may have would be great. Thank again

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 16 May 2013 , 8:40am
post #10 of 10

ive done BC transfers....and piping gel outline and then hand paint the image  like my mario cart cake here  -----my cars cake, justine bieber are bc

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%