Refrigerating Fondant Decorations On Cake?

Decorating By Brit-of-Cake Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 2:32am by steffla

Brit-of-Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brit-of-Cake Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 5

is it ok to refrigerate a buttercream frosted cake that has small areas of fondant details applied to it even for a short amount of time? Or should i leave the extra details until the last minute......i want to be able to keep the cake refrigerated, it is a truck but i have made the windows and and some little details out of fondant.

thanks

hayley icon_smile.gif

4 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 5

I refrigerate all of my cakes and they are all fondant.

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:57am
post #3 of 5

I refrigerated a cake with fondant (sbc underneath) and it came out extremely wet & glossy as it was coming to room temperature. Yes, it was over 80 degrees outside & 90+ humidity. It appeared to start drying but I don't think I left enough time. I read that some people put fans on the cake to dry them. Would love to hear from the experts if there is a trick to doing this. With 2 young kids I have to squeeze in the decorating between mommy-taxi runs. Thanks.

Lamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lamcakes Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:22am
post #4 of 5

Perfect timing for this question. I am making a cake with fondant this weekend, but mine is a combination regular cake and ice cream cake, so it will be frozen instead of just refridgerated. Will freezing fondant hurt it or cause it to look horrible when it comes out. Plus it will be frozen until about 1 hour prior to serving. Will this hurt it ??????? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:32am
post #5 of 5

I think it may depend on what kind of fondant you use. I know that SatinIce says it may be refrigerated no problem but I make marshmallow fondant and have never had good results when refrigerating it. When it comes out, even if it has enough time to dry, the fondant is never quite the same and can bubble up in places without explanation. I try to never make cakes that require refrigeration if I plan to cover with fondant. Hope this helps, let us know how you make out!

Steph

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%